CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

Session Expiration, Timeout, and Other Horrors

Print topic Send  topic

cruisin

Posted: 08/16/2008, 10:10 AM

I've posted variations of the post before and tried just about everything everyone has suggested - without success.

The problems started when I upgraded to the latest version of codecharge. Sessions are expiring in some cases in a matter of seconds. Users log in, and are booted out of the system when they go to save a form, or in the middle of navigating between pages. Other times it work fine and I'll have session times of 10 + minutes. There are also times when the login form completely ignores the form input and just refreshes itself without an error message. Sometimes it will take 2-3 tries before it actually takes the username and password. Then it expires a few seconds after I get in to try and do something.

These are ASP sites on shared windows servers.

I've run out of things to try.

Suggestions?

Rob
View profile  Send private message
datadoit
Posted: 08/16/2008, 1:32 PM

I would suggest trying to take CodeCharge out of the equation by
creating simple pages, setting some session vars manually and seeing
what happens.

If you see the same results, then you know it's not the application but
rather the web server config.
marcwolf

Posted: 08/17/2008, 7:57 PM

Although I have not had your issues, I have had issues before where the user wanted very long session timers, and a mix of session times depending on whether the user was internal to the office or external in the field.

What I ended up doing was having a small iframe that linked to a page on the server that just updated a temporaty session variable by 1.

This iframe was refreshed using a periodic javascript function. As long as it ran the Session was never logged oout and was perfect for internal use. External users did not have this feature so their session closed by default after the time out.

It is also handy with pages that may take a lot of time to fill out too..

Take care

Dave
csierra

Posted: 09/16/2008, 8:56 PM

Session expiring has much to do with the thread model your server is running; there is apartment threading or single threar per app; you should ask wich IIS is your hosting co. using, also if your app happens to consume too much RAM the sessions are kicked because of inner workings of IIS for resourse recycling matters.

Posted: 09/17/2008, 3:48 AM

Thanks. I probably should have reposted that I already discovered this. Since it is on a shared environment, my host had to move it to a server setup for applications.

Rob

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login