CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

iis7 and codecharge 4....

Print topic Send  topic

webdev

Posted: 03/18/2008, 3:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I had a server/hard disk crash the other day. Went to purchase new sys with windows Vista already installed.

Just for fun, I downloaded the free web developer express, 2008 vintage, and played around a little making a few pages within their package and publishing them on the vista. Learned that iis7 does not like more than one web.config even though the second one is in a subdirectory. (That's where I tried to publish a codecharge project that was converted from asp to asp.net.)

Getting iis runing was easy but now I have a problem getting codecharge to perform.

For example, copied all my backup files which are still live on another system to the Vista system. This was via a cd burn. All things went over without a problem but then...

I looked at the connection setting for a particular project and they were removed. No big thing, I thought. Just redefine them, right?

No such luck. I can get to the point of finding the access database and even test the connection but when one clicks the ok button to get back to the general tab the connection string does not appear.

Then I went to control panel -> administrative tools to look at the Data Sources (ODBC) to see if there were drivers for access and yes, that seems ok.

So, are there any ideas on what one needs to do to get that connection string, other than firing up the other system and copying it to paper, verbatium?

Any input would be appreciated.

View profile  Send private message
ReneS

Posted: 03/18/2008, 3:54 AM

Hi,

I also had a problem with the connection string not being saved. The only way I could get around it was by typing it inside the connection string field and then press ok. It would not remember it when I used the builder. You can get connection strings from: http://www.connectionstrings.com

Good luck,

Rene
webdev

Posted: 03/19/2008, 3:02 AM

Rene,

Thanks for the feedback. I tried a wide variety of the connection strings and finally ended up firing up the other system and looking at what was the connection string there. Altered it slightly to address drive letter. Then copied a project that was know to work completely.

On the vista system I received a slew of errors relating to navigation and sorters. This is new and should not have been generated.

The project was created for asp with templates. Today I'm going to try converting it to asp.net. and see what happens.

At one point I received the error 80004005 error. This is usually a permission error so I thought I fixed that by allowing iusr read/write permission on the access database and the entire directory I have the databases in. However, that didn't seem to work either.

The only other change that I can imagine affecting anything is when I downloaded the free web express. Included in that download was microsoft server 2005 express edition. Do you think I need to convert that entire access database to sql tables? That would be a pain redoing all that. Then I'm not sure how codecharge would handle things with an express edition ie would it generate things that are not part of the core with express 2005 server and then cause errors?

By the way, with web express comes version 3.5 of asp.net. Codecharge and be setup for 2.x.x.x.x. Might this be a problem? There should be backward compability, right?

It's a bit frustrating seeing a working program go down the tubes just because of a change in iis.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Wayne

asoares

Posted: 03/19/2008, 4:40 AM

Just a tip for you:

The conversion from Access to MS SQL 2005 can be made without stress.
Just use:

Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access
download at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/migration/default.mspx
It is free. I used the tool in a couple of projects and it is fine.

Regarding Error 80004005... The access file creates a temporary file. This fact requires the R/W permission in the ENTIRE DATA FOLDER and not only in the DBF file.

Alcides Soares - Clicks to Bricks - Brasil
Brasil
webdev

Posted: 03/19/2008, 4:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Discovered some other strange things. For example, the build string (mentioned above) does not work. Here is the work around...

Modify the connection (if you created one before) On the general tab, click on build string. This opens another window. Build the string as usual however, when you are done building the string DO NOT simply return (press ok button I think it was). First, click on the string that was build and then highlight the entire string. Do a copy <ctrl><insert> and then hit the ok button. The "new" connection string then appears on the opening "general" tab. Strange, but it works.

Building a .Net VB project really needs some work by codecharge. I converted an asp with templates, did the save (backup) as suggested. Now build the whole kitten cabootle (is that spelled right?). In the resulting compile, sitting somewhere under c:\inetpub that you previously defined, there are a bunch of php files that are generated. The number is equal to the number of pages in the project. In other words, one gets x.aspx, x.aspx.vb, x.html and finally x.php.

Then to make matters more questionable, if you have a login page, which worked before, it now gives the error "Column 'autoLogin' does not belong to table Table." What? autoLogin? table Table? Humm...

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

As usual, should you decide to write, thank you for any feedback.

stevetilkens

Posted: 05/12/2008, 4:18 PM

I am having the same problem with the connection string builder. After I create a connection and successfully test it I click "ok" but the string is never inserted into the connection string field. Has anyone come up with a solution for this yet? I am using CCS 4.0 running on Vista SP1.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login