CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

How to store a zip file in an Access Database

Print topic Send  topic

NBDesign

Posted: 02/07/2008, 8:31 PM

Can this be done and how?

Thanks.
View profile  Send private message
rvp032582

Posted: 02/08/2008, 12:55 PM

can u create a file upload and upload a zip file to the specified field in the specified table - similar to an image upload? and then specify the file type of course..... .zip file
NBDesign

Posted: 02/08/2008, 6:13 PM

every time I try to use the file upload feature, all it will let me do is upload to a directory.

I found a post on here about images with a BLOB, but that is different than what I am doing I think. Not sure what a BLOB is. LOL.

DonB
Posted: 02/08/2008, 7:50 PM

This sounds like a very bad idea. Access databases bloat up really fast
even without storing files in there. I think you are really asking for
trouble. Store the name of the zip file and store the file separately.

--
DonB

"NBDesign" <NBDesign@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:647ad0c6042a58@news.codecharge.com...
> every time I try to use the file upload feature, all it will let me do is
> upload
> to a directory.
>
> I found a post on here about images with a BLOB, but that is different
> than
> what I am doing I think. Not sure what a BLOB is. LOL.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.yessoftware.com/
>

JimmyCrackedCorn

Posted: 02/08/2008, 8:37 PM

Quote DonB:
This sounds like a very bad idea.

AMEN!

Posted: 02/08/2008, 8:43 PM

Bad Idea? Ok.....

How can I secure my zip files so that someone would need their user name and password to download them? Unlike linux, there is no .htaccess file to manipulate.

suggestions welcome.

DonB
Posted: 02/09/2008, 10:47 AM

Put them in a folder to which the webserver process has read and/or write
access, but is not within the web directory tree. Create a page that reads
the file and echoes the contents to the browser, sending the appropriate
header content-type and content-disposition prior to the contents. Thus all
access to the file is through the control mechanisms for user ID and group
ID, like any other CCS 'restricted' page would be.

--
DonB

http://ccswiki.gotodon.net

"NBDesign" <NBDesign@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:647ad2f7253b1d@news.codecharge.com...
> Bad Idea? Ok.....
>
> How can I secure my zip files so that someone would need their user name
> and
> password to download them? Unlike linux, there is no .htaccess file to
> manipulate.
>
> suggestions welcome.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.yessoftware.com/
>

NBDesign

Posted: 02/09/2008, 1:21 PM

That is a great idea there.... not sure I can do that with my godaddy hosting. I was going to just create a directory through IIS and set a user and pass that I would just have accessed through the database, but godaddy will not allow that .

flipandboef

Posted: 04/09/2008, 1:44 PM

Hi NB,
Not sure if you have it resolved yet or not, but since I ran into your topic and I also am with GoDaddy, this is what I have done:

I created a folder "Files" on the host.. Made it Writable (via Godaddy - FileManager)..
On the upload, I have the files store in the Files folder and in the DB it stores the filename, the user who placed it, etc...
I have set via CC that the user who placed it and admins can see that file and no one else... (storing the username in the record)
Since folder listing is not allowed in GoDaddy, users who are not logged in, will not be able to see the files...
They can download the file without logging in, IF they know it's stored in the Files folder and know the exact filename..
You have prob. noticed CC ads the date etc.. to the filename, it's will be very unlikely for someone to figure out the name as it is on the server, in order to download it...

It worked for me ;o)

NBDesign

Posted: 04/09/2008, 4:08 PM

Quote flipandboef:
Hi NB,
Not sure if you have it resolved yet or not, but since I ran into your topic and I also am with GoDaddy, this is what I have done:

I created a folder "Files" on the host.. Made it Writable (via Godaddy - FileManager)..
On the upload, I have the files store in the Files folder and in the DB it stores the filename, the user who placed it, etc...
I have set via CC that the user who placed it and admins can see that file and no one else... (storing the username in the record)
Since folder listing is not allowed in GoDaddy, users who are not logged in, will not be able to see the files...
They can download the file without logging in, IF they know it's stored in the Files folder and know the exact filename..
You have prob. noticed CC ads the date etc.. to the filename, it's will be very unlikely for someone to figure out the name as it is on the server, in order to download it...

It worked for me ;o)

Thank you. I actually am in the process of changing hosts. I have the account set up and have been running a couple sites there to test the company before moving my main site there. I have had a computer crash and need to replace a motherboard and processor so I have not been able to work on this as all my files are on a HardDrive I cannot access.

Before that happened, I did make a work around through pop-ups that seem to work real well.... can't explain how as it's been some time since i have been in those files.

Thanks to a nice little piece of software called VMWare... I found in openSuse, I was able to set up a windows server on my laptop through it. My laptop had xp home which does not have a server so I switched to openSuse. LOVE IT!!!! BTW. Much more than Windows. Anyway, Thanks again for the help..... yours seems a bit simpler than mine, since I still have to test this with PayPal and getting info written, I may still give your workaround a try. Once I get back on this, I can show you mine and would be more than happy to pass that info to you if you like it. :)

Thanks again.
flipandboef

Posted: 04/10/2008, 7:09 AM

Keep me informed ;-)

What exactly are you going to do with Paypal? I have done 2 sites myself as well using Paypal..
If you run into issues with it, maybe I can help you out...
Lemme know.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login