CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

How to learn advanced features of CC ?

Print topic Send  topic

Robert
Posted: 02/01/2002, 10:12 AM

I'm from the old school where most of my programming is in a simple editor. I see the value of CC not only in RAD, but in multiplatform output. Hence, I wish to learn the product.

I've not found good documentation that speaks to the use of events, custom SQL code, etc. Basically I've not found anything but the most rudimentary examples. While there are many applications provided for free, there is no documentation that connects the to the actual code (eg did this in an open event to get a parameter available in a caption field). I feel like I have a learning curve and no tools to make the ascent. Do you know of any tutorials or books that address the features of CC that actually make it do _real_ work ?

Also, I'm not familiar with templates. I certainly see the value, but II see keywords such as 'SetVar' that I don't recognize. Any thoughts on where I can find references to the use of templates ?

My current development environment, to eval CC, is Win2k server, IIS5, and MSAccess or SQL Server. However, if I can make CC work I will try to integrate into our production framework which is all Java (an EJB like framework) with an Oracle backend.

Thank you again for the assistance and any guidance you can provide on finding materials that will help me to learn the advanced functions of CC.

-Robert
Brent
Posted: 02/01/2002, 3:05 PM

The only way you are going to understand what is going on is to learn ASP (or
PHP if you're using PHP). All of the cryptic syntax in the generated code is
really just ASP code. A good ASP tutorial will certainly help fill in the
blanks (there are several online, just do a google search for them).

Also the database access is done using a database class that is
defined in an include file. I'm using MySQL so it is defined in "db_mysql.inc" and
this will show you all of the properties and methods that are available. A
few of the main methods are discussed in the help file and are pretty easy
to pick up. Also a good debugger goes a long way in understanding how the
code gets executed. Otherwise your application looks like a black box and
you don't see how all the pieces fit together. If you do a search on "ASP debugger"
you should find a few you can try out. I use PHP so I can't recommend any
ASP debuggers. Maybe someone else can. CC is a lot of fun once you find out
how the pieces fit together. :)
Robert
Posted: 02/01/2002, 3:47 PM

Brent;

Thank you for the reply. I think I must not have been clear in the initial message. I'm tech savvy. I've been building web apps since 1994 back in days of CGI (mainly PERL and C++). I am also quite versed with ASP and know my way around JSP.

The problem I'm having is understanding how things fit together within CC. For example, I wanted to 'personalize' a table caption. Had no clue how to due it in CC. A kind user pointed out that I needed to grab the query string variables from the OPEN event of the form, and then refer to the variable in the Caption text of the form. This is the type of thing I've not found documented.

What can I do with events ? What can I do with the FORM SQL panels, what is the order of processing ? How can I add images to the corners of tables so they have a nice rounded effect and still keep it all within CC, rather than customizing templates, etc, etc.

I'm looking for hard core info on how to do in CC what I intuitively do in a text editor.

Any thoughts ?

Thank you again for the reply.

-Robert
Brent
Posted: 02/02/2002, 8:30 AM

Robert,
What can I say? You're right. I and a few others had suggested that CC
come up with a technical manual a few months back. As you pointed out, their
existing documentation is basically an intro to CC and they need something
more concrete. The only thing I can suggest is keep pestering YesSoftware to
produce a more technical manual. See if there is a request for better documentation
in their wish list and urge people to vote for it.

However, I do urge you to get yourself a debugger. I've been using one for
2 weeks now and it has made understanding my application a whole lot easier. I
can see all the local variables, globals variables, DB properties, I can set up
break points etc.. It just makes things so much easier. :)

Brent
Kris
Posted: 02/02/2002, 8:44 AM

Is there any ASP debugging tool we can use it with Code Charge?
Robert
Posted: 02/02/2002, 11:33 PM

Brent;

I think your suggestion of an ASP debugger is a good one. It will really help to understand where things done in CC actually wind up in the generated code.

The only one I've used in the past is Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 in which full round-trip debugging was ... well ... a bit buggy. I think V.Studio is now upgraded to Visual Studio.Net. I am a member of Microsofts Enterprise MSDN so I have all the latest development tools and I imagine that the debugger has improved. But, it sure seems heavy to load up Visual Studio.net just to get an ASP debugger.

Have you found a lightweight debugger that actually works ? Any suggestions ?

Thank you ....

-Robert
Brent
Posted: 02/02/2002, 11:49 PM

:Have you found a lightweight debugger that actually works ? Any suggestions ?

I use PHP so I don't know of any good ASP debuggers. I did do a search on the
MickeySoft site for you and found quite a few references.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.micr...om+asp+debugger

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login