CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> .NET

Publishing

Print topic Send  topic

sgadson

Posted: 02/25/2005, 11:22 AM

Hello,

Is is necessary to publish the entire project in code charge studio (2.3.2.24) using ASP .NET (VB)? It appears that if I only publish one page, all other pages give me error messages. This was fine at first, but as my projects get larger it takes more time to load the entire project everytime a change is needed.

I also noticed that this is not a problem when using php, so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Posted: 02/25/2005, 11:32 AM

Hi,

I believe that compiling the full application is required for all .NET applications. .NET languages are compiled and require a project that is compiled. PHP is an interpreted language and requires only a text file (.php) that is being interpreted at run-time.
However, there is a difference between compiling, generating and publishing a project. For .NET it's actually a 3-step process: generate a page, publish it (copy to temporary or destination folder), compile it.
Thus in my understanding the answer to your question is: it is not necessary to regenerate the entire project but it is necessary to publish and compile the entire project. And the trick is to change the Publishing settings in CCS to "All files with extensions". This way when you re-generate one page by clicking "Live Page" then CCS will publish all other pages & files as well, then compile them, but without re-generating all of them.
View profile  Send private message
Tuong Do
Posted: 02/27/2005, 2:22 PM

I would use the Quick Publishing if I the change only afftect the HTML
section.

"sgadson" <sgadson@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:8421f7afb89464@news.codecharge.com...
> Hello,
>
> Is is necessary to publish the entire project in code charge studio
> (2.3.2.24)
> using ASP .NET (VB)? It appears that if I only publish one page, all
> other
> pages give me error messages. This was fine at first, but as my projects
> get
> larger it takes more time to load the entire project everytime a change is
> needed.
>
> I also noticed that this is not a problem when using php, so I was
> wondering if
> I was doing something wrong.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> _________________
> Shawn :-)
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.codecharge.com/
>

E43509

Posted: 02/28/2005, 3:26 PM

Concur with above that .net requires the recompilation of the dll file when you make a change. I find it easier to 'publish' the page I changed and then go to the inet directory and find the makeall.bat and execute it. That makeall recompiles the project completely and is quick.
rogersw

Posted: 03/03/2005, 6:22 PM

That's a good tip, running the makeall.bat from File explorer. However, occasionally it will throw errors because the makeall.bat script use a command line switch like /recurse:*.cs or something like that and blows up in a nested directory like _vtf_cnf I believe.

I general, I use the IDE's F8 key (publish page) to compile code changes since it's faster to see the compiler results. Then when I'm satisfied with that I use F9 (publish site) to rebuild the assembly (new word for .DLL).

Wayne

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login