CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Java

Using Ant to automate deployment on Tomcat

Print topic Send  topic

Duane
Posted: 02/17/2005, 1:32 AM

I finally got a working codecharge - tomcat - mysql configuration running today. Now I only have one question for the more experienced of you out there.

When you hit the publish button, does codecharge just build a WAR file and put it into the webapps directory, making you manually manipulate tomcat throught the manager to update your site, or am I missing something?

It seemed to me that it should be possible to go "all the way" in publishing, as I noticed that tomcat has the ability to be instructed to deploy the WAR file through activating the correct URL's, and ANT has the ability to fire URL's.

If anyone has spent some time and can configure codecharge to deliver, install, and reload the JSP site, could they please share their wisdom? It would be much appreciated!

Duane
matheus

Posted: 02/17/2005, 2:55 AM

If the project is published in a WAR file, the WAR file is deployed always in the initialization of Tomcat, if the context doesn't exists yet.

If the context's name exists the WAR does notihing.

You could publish the project to deploy unpacked, so tomcat restart context.

Dynamix Software Ltda.
Blumenau SC Brasil
www.dynamix.com.br
View profile  Send private message
Duane
Posted: 02/17/2005, 7:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Matheus. You did make me twig to a couple of things I missed that are not immediately obvious from the documentation.

Using the following settings in the project properties helped me to get the publishing more automated,

Target server : Tomcat 4
Deploy webapp as : war-file
Manager url: http://localhost:8080/manager
Manager logon: admin
Password: *******
Context path: /Canvas

The context path is the name of the directory you want to publish on tomcat under,
in my case I go to http://localhost:8080/Canvas to view the site.

There is also a ServerPath property, I did not set it, and I'm not sure what it's for, but I seem to have gotten away without it for the moment.

However, this setup is not without it's problems, it seems that the WAR file does not always deploy fast enough, sometimes I get a Zip Exception, indicating the Zip function on tomcat cannot find the WAR file it's looking for. I usually have to publish a couple of times before Tomcat deploys the app.

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem?

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login