CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

Just Lost Two Days Work

Print topic Send  topic

alphawebs

Posted: 01/11/2005, 9:38 AM

I have been working with Code Charge Studio since it was in Beta. That's over three years. It is a great ide though prone to problems at times.

Before CCS I used Code Charge. Code Charge gives you the ability to "save as" projects thereby cloning them and/or creating stepped revisions. Studio has always lacked this ability other than to rename a project. This seems to be a fairly useless feature since right clicking the project file name will accomplish the same thing.

Because you can't save revisions I sometimes simply publish projects to different levels. Today that got me. I was trying to publish a project and getting errors so I started deleting nested directories within Studio's explorer window. In the process I accidentally deleted a nested project and lost the last two days of work.

All gone. Completely gone. Studio didn't even put it in the recycle bin. There is no cache files or temp files that I can find.

So far as I can tell there is no way to retrieve this project or its files. I do hope that this issue will be corrected in a later release.

I wish you would at least give us a way to recover files if we accidentally delete them. The ability to "save as" projects would be priceless.
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 01/11/2005, 1:08 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Just a recommendation: we always use source control system, like VSS, for all development, Web and non-Web. This is widely accepted solution, best practice, and often required by companies to prevent the loss of source code. I believe that the purpose of source control systems is to maintain versioning (revisions) and allow team development. I also must check-out files from VSS (sometimes via SourceOffSite) before I can modify them, then check them back in. I usually keep VSS or SourceOffSite open at all times when I work with important projects. In the near future we plan to integrate CCS with VSS & CVS to make check-in/check-out features accessible directly within CCS.
Another tip: when I need a project backup for personal use, I press Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V on the project folder in Windows explorer, to make a copy of the whole project folder. I even have 20-30 copies (versions) of some projects created that way.
For now maybe try some undelete utilities: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=undelete
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=undelete&tg=dl-2001
Some of them offer free version for undeleting small files (less than 100 KB or so), and hopefully your .html & .ccp may be recovered that way.
alphawebs

Posted: 01/11/2005, 1:32 PM

Thanks for the input.

I have used VSS in the past but have moved away from that system as I no longer run a "Microsoft shop" and the only MS development that I do is an occassional VB app or MDB.

I generally work in a redundancy of backups and clones but was pushing a tight deadline and got sloppy. I often back up folders as you suggest but had not done so in this case. This is the first time in years that I can remember losing data.

Thank you very much for the links. As it turns out I have recreated much of what I lost in just the last three hours. Since it was all fresh in my mind and I had already built the remote DB's and most of my web pages I have been able to quickly recover.

I was very frustrated when I submitted the post and was adding to the "WIsh List" a feature that I would very much like to see implemented..
Gary Finlay
Posted: 01/15/2005, 5:36 PM

I often leave a folder window open minimized. When I want to do something
similar to "save as" I open the folder highlight the file to be backed up
press ctrl c to copy it and immediately ctrl v to paste it. You end up with
numbered (copy 3 of) and dated and timed versions of your file.

HTH
Gary

"alphawebs" <alphawebs@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:2241e40f21ed6e8@news.codecharge.com...
>I have been working with Code Charge Studio since it was in Beta. That's
>over
> three years. It is a great ide though prone to problems at times.
>
> Before CCS I used Code Charge. Code Charge gives you the ability to "save
> as"
> projects thereby cloning them and/or creating stepped revisions. Studio
> has
> always lacked this ability other than to rename a project. This seems to
> be a
> fairly useless feature since right clicking the project file name will
> accomplish the same thing.
>
> Because you can't save revisions I sometimes simply publish projects to
> different levels. Today that got me. I was trying to publish a project
> and
> getting errors so I started deleting nested directories within Studio's
> explorer window. In the process I accidentally deleted a nested project
> and
> lost the last two days of work.
>
> All gone. Completely gone. Studio didn't even put it in the recycle bin.
> There is no cache files or temp files that I can find.
>
> So far as I can tell there is no way to retrieve this project or its
> files. I
> do hope that this issue will be corrected in a later release.
>
> I wish you would at least give us a way to recover files if we
> accidentally
> delete them. The ability to "save as" projects would be priceless.
> ---------------------------------------
> Sent from YesSoftware forum
> http://forums.codecharge.com/
>

matheus

Posted: 01/24/2005, 3:24 AM

The problem with CVS with CCS is that CCS create many files, and we need add manually in VSS, for example.

If you delete a file in CCS and doesn't need anymore, needs delete manually in VSS.

Lost many time.

Dynamix Software Ltda.
Blumenau SC Brasil
www.dynamix.com.br

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login