CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Creating a forum

Print topic Send  topic

songohan_cro
Posted: 07/25/2004, 10:11 AM

well, I have a problem :) ass you can guess.

Thing is that I'm trying to make forum using CCS. I'd like it to be a bit more advanced than one supplied in examples.

What I would like to do it to have user log in to be able to post. OK, that one is easy, just set Restricted to yes.

But, after user logs in I'd like to have on return page message "wellcome John" and that when he submits a reply or new topic post his username is automaticaly added to tabe.

I mannaged to save variable in session (variable indicatig discusion theme) and Retrive Variable Value later for submiting fith post but I can't mannage to do the same with username on login page??

well, any help and as soon ass possible is most wellcomed

Andrej
peterr

Posted: 07/25/2004, 10:31 AM

This doesn't look right. My advice wold be not to store usernames in the topics/replies tables. The purpose of a database is not to use it like a spreadsheet, but to take advantage of the relational data. What would happen if a user changes their username or asks you to do this, or you you need to do so?
Most applications save the ID of the user, so that any other information about the user can be changed at any time. That's also why CCS automatically creates the session variable "UserID" and you can use it anywhere you need to. I recommend that you just use the "UserID" and store it in your tables.
View profile  Send private message
Songohan_cro
Posted: 07/25/2004, 10:54 AM

ID is fine with me, bu T got crazy already from all the things I tried and didn't work :)

So, is UserID saved automaticaly on login page or I have to specify that I want it created?

Is this same ID that is assigned to user when he registeres??

Sorry for so many questions and if they are trivial but I rely need help

Thnx

Andrej
peterr

Posted: 07/25/2004, 11:16 AM

Yes, the UserID session variable is created automatically when users login. It is the ID that you specify in Project -> Settings -> Security. And you can specify your own session variable in Project -> Settings -> Security -> Advanced.

View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login