CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

Mac version of CCS

Print topic Send  topic

DaveRexel

Posted: 07/22/2004, 5:11 PM

::
Putting on my asbestos protective gear here:

Having traveled around with a powerbook and being able to do every task I need to do as a system-administrator, web-developer, graphic-artist (digital-video, 2D & 3D) and musician: I lack only one program on the Mac OSX platform and that is CCS.

It's not practical to lug an additional laptop around on my travels for just one program so this brought the problem to a head.

Making the case for us mac-heads here, all the mac owners I know are professionals and most of the web-developers would gladly buy this fantastic CCS program if it was available for our platform. While we would seem to be a minority (percentage of computer users) our numbers are considerable (percentage of web-developers) and we are restricted to using the Macromedia Studio where CCS would serve the purpose better. We're also used to paying well for our software.

Development for the Mac OSX would also be easy to port to other *X based platforms with relatively little additional effort.

In short a mac OSX version of CCS would bring many talented web-developers to this great community, so how about it, Yes?
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 07/22/2004, 8:46 PM

Dave,

We've thought about this, however we don't enough Mac expertise, nor 3rd party components that we use support Mac, therefore we estimate such effort could take 2+ years of work and pull our resources away from working on the core features of CCS and other products. And for now we have not even seriously started looking into working on Mac version of CCS.
We do toy with some ideas but I wouldn't expect anything within reasonable amount of time.
DaveRexel

Posted: 07/23/2004, 7:12 AM

Thank you PeterR,

For a very honest reply, not many companies would admit to a lack of expertise in any related technology. Since I discovered CodeCharge many years ago I have admired the vision, honesty and dedication of the developers of this very innovative product.

The most admirable aspect of CCS is its ability to code for many disparate technologies, what would be excellent would be the ability to develop on many platforms, an extention of the the multi-platform vision.

I do realise the issues involved, but dependence on rigid 3rd party components (MS DHTML, MS XML?) would seem to present long-term problems and sources of bugs which are not within your control.

As the programming environment for CCS development would seem to MS Visual Studio C++, I wonder what advantages this has over Objective C. Apart from producing a MIDI-editor for the Atari STE in the late 80s my knowledge of non-web appication development is limited but my interest is keen.

I would be the last person to wish for any slowdown in the progress of the current CCS development, but having an alternative on the backburner to be developed at a very reduced pace could not hurt.

What is heartening however is that the developers are considering a Mac version, however distant that might be.

I for one offer my services as a tester however primitive the test-version might be and would be prepared to gather some more mac-heads if neccessary. Please email me whenever my services are needed.

Regards
marcwolf

Posted: 07/26/2004, 8:33 PM

Hi there.
I have some friends with Mac's. and they tell me that the new Mac Op systems is very Unix in nature.

I know of some programs around that enable you to 'emulate' a Windows machine on a Unix box.. That might work for you

Although I am in a windows environment I often use a product caled VMWare that effectively makes a virtual machine where I can install a variety of Op systesm for testing.

Take Care

Dave

DaveRexel

Posted: 07/27/2004, 4:14 AM

Hi Dave

We've purchased VMWare and Crossover Office for customers so I'll buy a licence and test this on my Powerbook.

However I do feel that a Mac version of CCS would be extremely beneficial to Yes (easy to port to other X platforms as well as win32) as the MS components presently being used for the HTML design-mode are bug-ridden and not likely to be fixed by MS anytime soon. As this is a wishes topic one can only hope and wish...

Regards
Dave
Benjamin Krajmalnik
Posted: 07/27/2004, 8:40 AM

MacOSX is essentilly a port of FreeBSD.
Jordan Hubbard, who for years led the FreeBSD project, left about 2 years
ago to go work for Apple in their new OS (Codename Darwin).
I eun a series of FreeBSD web servers. They kick tha pants out of anything
out there. I much prefer it over Linux (in any of ots variants).

peterr

Posted: 07/27/2004, 1:24 PM

Hi all,

When I wrote above "We do toy with some ideas but I wouldn't expect anything within reasonable amount of time. " I was actually thinking about Linux.
We're investigating some Linux options, but this also would be a big undertaking and could take a long time.
I'm assuming though that once we'd have a Windows+Linux version then Mac version would be easier to implement as well.
Again though - there are no promises and not even time estimates yet. We'd like to do it, but there are some key technology barriers.
DaveRexel

Posted: 07/27/2004, 1:54 PM

Hi Peter

Linux is fine by me, am still ready and willing to test whenever you folks need it, under whatever NDAs required.

(BTW, I use w2k, Free & Open BSD, Mac OSX and several variants of Linux, all in different context so I hope we do not have any platform wars here on this very friendly forum)

Best Regards
Philip
Posted: 08/03/2004, 3:27 PM

About the only reason I don't use a mac is because of codecharge not being available on it. Another reason used to be because MS Access is not available on the mac and I used it so much for developping quick database prototypes, but now that phpmyadmin is so kool I find myself not using Access. The one thing Access has that phpmyadmin/mySQL lacks is checking for possible database referential integrity errors.

But this affects my decision to use mac more than my decision to use codecharge... I would have switched to mac a long time ago were it not for codecharge. I suspect Codecharge would increase it's market base greatly if it ported to the *nix platform.

The answers peterr has offered strike me as (with all due respect because I think you all are great) the answers of codewriters, not business people. The real question needs to be to determine what the size of the market is, then whether the porting over to *nix will be profitable. To that end YesSoftware might want to do a survey to get a sense of the size of the potential market, and share that survey with us. Then the answer will be based on real data rather than speculation.

Also, looking at the forum here I see that the php and java entries outweigh the MS based entries, and and a large number these people feel comfortable with macs and *nix, it seems to me that's an indication right there.
RonB

Posted: 08/10/2004, 12:13 AM

Quote :
looking at the forum here I see that the php and java entries outweigh the MS based entries

The problem is probably not the number of people that are using linux. More likely it's a problem of how many of those people would be willing to pay for codecharge on linux.
The lack of an open source equivelant is probably also telling. Is there a great need for something like codechatge on linux. I would welcome it as well and would be ready to pay for it as I am now. I just wonder if the market for linux and codecharge is as big as we seem to think.
datadoit.com
Posted: 08/10/2004, 2:13 PM

"RonB" <RonB@forum.codecharge> wrote in message
news:22411875a004239@news.codecharge.com...
> I just wonder if the market for
> linux and codecharge is as big as we seem to think.
> ---------------------------------------

CCS for Linux would be a God-send for us! 90% of our usage is Linux. The
other 10% is CCS and IE6 on XP. Unfortunately the client base is using IE6,
so that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

-Mike Rathburn
Data Do It, Inc.

Vanessa
Posted: 08/27/2004, 4:25 AM

What do Mac users use in lieu of CCS? Newbie just starting to look into db development.
DaveRexel

Posted: 08/27/2004, 12:41 PM

Dreamweaver :-)

OS X has the webserver options covered, it has Apache and PHP installed, add MySQL (with phpMyAdmin) and the stage is set for Studio MX et al from Macromedia. There is a wealth of material on getting this working on various platforms to be found through Google.

However, if only CCS was available for the Mac *sigh* as it's still the best program IMHO for building database powered websites.
GeorgeS

Posted: 09/19/2004, 4:42 PM

Here is a possible solution for MAC people:

Trasitive Inc. came up with several software packages for running any software on any platform. No difference in perfomance as they state.

http://www.transitive.com/products.htm

Posted: 09/19/2004, 4:43 PM

Here is a possible solution for MAC people:

Trasitive Inc. came up with several software packages for running any software on any platform. No difference in perfomance as they state.

http://www.transitive.com/products.htm

Posted: 11/02/2004, 10:53 AM

Is there anybody who had tested CCS on a VirtualPC installation on a Mac?

I think with the new Version for the G5 Mac's there must be enough power to emulate WinXP an run CCS.

CU Sveni ;-)

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login