CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> IDE/GUI

Problems with text area behaviour

Print topic Send  topic

pkno

Posted: 07/15/2004, 5:23 AM

Hi,
I've got a problem with the behaviour of the text area component.
It always displays existing content with various leading whitespaces. If not deleted, these whitespaces are added to the entry when the record is updated through a grid.
What I and all the users of the application want, is the standard behaviour of the textarea, displaying the existing content without leading whitespaces.
I've tried to alter this behaviour through the properties of the component as well as through the assigned style (don't want to exclude that I just haven't found the right handle :-P) but wasn't successful so far. Documentaion was also not helpful here.

Can anybody help ?

Regard,

Peter

Peter
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 07/15/2004, 11:15 AM

How does your HTML look like around that textarea?
pkno

Posted: 07/15/2004, 10:10 PM

Hmm..., I would say completely normal.
----------
<tr>
<td class="ZF_GeBFieldCaptionTD" width="150"> Comments</td>
<td class="ZF_GeBDataTD" width="350"><textarea class="PythonTextarea" style="WIDTH: 280px; HEIGHT: 34px" name="{comments_Name}" cols="38">
{comments}</textarea> </td>
</tr>
----------
Can you see anything unusual?

Also, in the teaxtarea properties, the initial value always shows up with 20 leading whitespaces. Even, if I delete them, save the properties, save the page, publish the page, this has no effect. When the page in CodeChargeStudio has been reloaded, the initial value again shows 20 leading whitespaces.
Any idea?

Peter
peterr

Posted: 07/15/2004, 10:17 PM

I think that you should've use the "code" tag when posting the code because then we could see those spaces. Thoguh I was able to view your message source and I see that the actual HTML looks like this:
<tr>  
  <td class="ZF_GeBFieldCaptionTD" width="150"> Comments</td>   
  <td class="ZF_GeBDataTD" width="350"><textarea class="PythonTextarea" style="WIDTH: 280px; HEIGHT: 34px" name="{comments_Name}" cols="38">  
</tr>

So please remove the spaces before {comments} and your problem may be fixed.
pkno

Posted: 07/15/2004, 10:42 PM

Thanks a lot!
That was the solution. Although I was checking the HTML beforehand, I didn't notice that. The original piece of code looks like:
[    
                <tr>  
                  <td class="ZF_GeBFieldCaptionTD" width="200"> Comments</td>   
                  <td class="ZF_GeBDataTD" width="500"><textarea class="PythonTextarea" style="WIDTH: 495px; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; WHITE-SPACE: normal; HEIGHT: 34px; TEXT-ALIGN: left" name="{comments_Name}" cols="56">  
                </tr>  

]

As the "{comments}" tag is on the new line, I didn't realize that the spaces from the beginning of the new line up the beginning of the tag also were whitespaces. Seems that CodeCharge always places the {..} tags on new lines when generating the HTML (at least this is the case in all my generated pages).

I'd like to suggest to improve this behaviour and put the {..} directly between the surrounding HTML tags without generating a line feed. ;-)

Peter
peterr

Posted: 07/15/2004, 10:44 PM

Yes, I'm not sure why this happened but possibly the line was too long with all the attributes. You may also try changing some of the HTML Formatting options in Tools -> Options.
pkno

Posted: 07/15/2004, 10:56 PM

Good hint!

I'll try that. Perhaps that's all what is needed :-)

Peter

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login