CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> Wishes

Editable theme style source.

Print topic Send  topic

SteveG

Posted: 04/28/2004, 12:42 PM

After going over many of the posts, I can tell that this theme stuff is not the walk in the park that it wants to be. Many nice effects of built-in themes have simple style lines like:

border: 1px outset #FFFFFF;
padding: 4px;

... so that's good. But using the theme style editor, and trying to change this info, I end up with:

border: 1px outset #FFFFFF;
padding: 4px;
padding-top: 2px;
padding-right: 2px;
padding-bottom: 2px;
padding-left: 2px;
border-top-width: 2px;
border-right-width: 2px;
border-bottom-width: 2px;
border-left-width: 2px;

... hmmm. I much prefer using the built-in editor because I think it has a better refresh capability than editing styles with an external editor - but without a way to actually change the code it's confusing to understand what does what. If that source text in the modify style window was activated and editable, I think a lot of issues with the themes can be resolved (at least for me :*))

Also, it took me a while to figure out the difference between padding and cell-spacing (at least I think I understand it); but again without being able to dive in through the style editor I have to use and external editor and hope the refreshing works.

- Steve
View profile  Send private message
peterr

Posted: 04/28/2004, 10:04 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but have you tried this:
click on the "Files" tab at the bottom of the Project Explorer window, then find the .css file that you want to edit and double-click on it. It should open within the CCS editor and this way you should be able to edit it wihin CCS.
SteveG

Posted: 04/28/2004, 10:18 PM

Okay, that's a pretty good way to get at the css code; but doesn't the slower method of going through the modify theme dialogs do a better job of refreshing the pages?

Thanks,

- Steve
SteveG

Posted: 04/28/2004, 10:31 PM

Just tried that way, works really well. :-)

Quote SteveG:
...doesn't the slower method of going through the modify theme dialogs do a better job of refreshing the pages?
peterr

Posted: 04/28/2004, 11:22 PM

Great :-)
SteveG

Posted: 05/01/2004, 2:21 PM

I think I spoke too soon there. You suggestion was valid, I can use the CCS editor to access the style sheets, but something else is driving me nuts and I can't seem to find out what's happening. I make the changes to the css file, through the editor. It even (usually... I think) shows the modifications when I Tool->Theme to see the results. But the page still doesn't seem to show any changes, and when I edit->layout a form, without changing anything but just okaying the theme, and go back to the css tab, I see a

"c:/.../...css"
This file was modified outside the source editor. Do you want to reload it.

... dialog; and when I do, none of the changes make it through. Where is it getting these old values from? It's driving me ... oh, I said that already.

- Steve
peterr

Posted: 05/01/2004, 9:55 PM

I just tested this and it worked for me. I edited the .css file ...ProjectName\Themes\Knockout\Style.css and then my new changes were reflected on the Live page. I switched to Code, HTML and Design tabs and CCS didn't ask to reload anything.
However, I'm assuming that CCS may reload the theme in certain situations and I would need to know when exactly this happens for you.
Generally this should happen when creating a new page based on specific theme, or when applying a theme to an existing component on the page. In such case CCS must reload the theme since it was selected.
You can make a copy of a Theme in Tools -> Themes and then use your own custom theme anywhere. You can also modify themes directly on disk in C:\Program Files\CodeChargeStudio\Components\Themes
Otherwise don't use CodeCharge themes, only your own .css and then CCS will have no way of affecting your theme or reloading it. Only if you use CCS Themes then CCS assumes that this is what you want to use and it must have a way of retrieving it.
SteveG

Posted: 05/02/2004, 12:38 PM

I didn't exactly find out what was going on there, but I did realize that the styles applied to TDs work differently than styles applied to font/TRs; which was what was bothering me. This, of course is an HTML thing and not a CCS thing. If I get a chance to play around with themes/styles/refreshing and I see this stuff pops-up again I'll post to this message, otherwise I'm moving on to other things.
SteveG

Posted: 05/08/2004, 10:42 AM

If I want to work on a css style sheet, which one should I work on? So far as I can tell there is the one stored, along with many others, in the CodeCharge/Themes/... directory, and another in the directory where I'm keeping my ccs type files. How do these two style.css files work together? :-/
peterr

Posted: 05/08/2004, 12:59 PM

The Themes (CodeCharge/Themes/) are the source of .css files created in the projects. CCS copies the Theme into your project whenever you choose to use such Theme, or change a Theme on an existing form, or make other Theme-related alterations. Therefore your changes to .css files in the project may be lost since they are meant to reflect the Theme.
It is best to create a copy of a Theme (Tools -> Themes -> Copy) and then make changes to your Themes so that you don't loose the original.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login