CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Anyone using 1and1.com for hosting and codecharge

Print topic Send  topic

1and1
Posted: 01/27/2004, 2:04 PM

I'm trying to use a free acount that I got with 1and1.com. They have PHP, PHPMyAdmin.net, and MySQL.
Apache Server: 1.3
php : 4.2.3
MySQL : 3.23.49

The problem lies that they do not allow MySQL to be connected via ODBC, only directly from my website.

"The MySQL database is stored on a separate database server behind a firewall to protect your data. You can only access this database server and your database exclusively through your site. Direct access to the MySQL database using a home PC (external ODBC connection) cannot be established."

I have setup PHPMyAdmin and connected to the database and set up some tables.

what do I need to do on the codecharge studio aspect to get this to work. Do I need to get MySQL on my local machine, connect to a "Fake" database, and then once it is all set to publish, change the settings in codecharge to connect to the database and then publish? I don't even know what settings I need to put in codecharge.

Thanks for your help.
peterr

Posted: 01/27/2004, 5:46 PM

Yes, looks like you understand correctly that you will need a local copy of your database in this case. Maybe let's call it "development database" or "test database" instead of "fake" :-) . And this approach is quite normal, especially since it's a good practice to test something locally before going "Live". Of course you could also setup two databases on your external Web server and use one for testing there, however testing locally is usually faster.

In any case, I recommend that you download a Windows version of MySQL and install it on your development machine. Then download MySQL Connector/ODBC from http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc/index.html , then create an ODBC connection on your local computer and connect to it from CCS. When you setup your Connection in CCS, you will need to specify "Design" and "Server" settings for your connection. The "Design" connection settings will be probably the same at all times and you will need to specify the name of your local ODBC connection there. However you will have two choices how to deal with the "Server" connection settings:

1. If you install PHP and Apache on your local development computer (for testing) then you can specify the ODBC name in your server settings and then the locally generated programs will use it to connect to your local database. Once tested, you will need to change your "Server" Connection settings to the database name on your server and re-generate the programs for your server.
In other words, you'd be sometimes generating programs for your local computer and other times for your external Web server and therefore you'd need to change your "Server" connection settings whenever you make the switch between the local server and the external one.

2. If you decide to always generate your programs to your external Web server then you can specify your database name in the "Server" Connection settings and you will never need to change it.
CCS uses "Design" connection settings only when you create your pages in CCS, while when the programs are generated/published then the "Server" connection settings are used. Since your server will stay the same you will never need to change your connection settings.

I'm assuming that for now the 2nd method may be easier for you, unless or until you decide to install PHP on your local computer and use the 1st method.
View profile  Send private message
viking60
Posted: 01/28/2004, 2:40 PM

Try AppServ http://www.appservnetwork.com/ if you decide to co for solution 1. Basicaly you just install it and start working with PHP MYSQL and PHPMyadmin.
1and1
Posted: 01/30/2004, 9:04 AM

thanks for the help, I'll try it out.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login