CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Connector string for project on public server?

Print topic Send  topic

Ben
Posted: 11/20/2003, 3:58 AM

I used CodeChargeStudio to make a database project on a stand alone computer and then published the project to a commercial server via FTP. Now when I try to run the ASP files I get a database error because the publishing routene did not migrate the Access database to the FTP server. I manually moved the database to the appropriate directory on the server but now I get an error when I run the ASP files because the ASP files have the database connector string as "C:\Program Files\CodeChargeStudio\Projects\TestProject\Internet.mdb"

How can I determine the correct path on the commercial server so I can plug this information into the Connector string? I only have FTP access, not shell access. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Todd
Posted: 11/20/2003, 9:13 AM

Ben,

FTP to your commercial server (preferably from the command line) and then once you're logged in, type the command "pwd" (without quotes). This may or may not give your actual path (it will depend on how the commercial server is configured).

Example of command line commands:

ftp www.yourserver.com

You will then be prompted for a username, then your password.
Now your should see something like this:

ftp>

At the prompt just type in "pwd" (without quotes)

This should return the actual path of your commercial server (i.e. \inetpub\wwwroot\yourwebsite...or something like that)

To log out of FTP just type "bye"

That's it!
Ben
Posted: 11/20/2003, 9:28 AM

Todd, thanks for the quick response. I did as you stated and all I got was "/testproject" back. Any other ideas? Thanks for any more help you can provide. Ben
Todd
Posted: 11/20/2003, 3:57 PM

Ben,

Unfortunately it sounds like the server is configured to not allow you to know the true path. Is this something that is hosted with an ISP? If so, you might be able to just email their tech support and ask them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--Todd
JHP
Posted: 11/20/2003, 7:58 PM

If you are using asp, you need to change the connectionstring in the common.asp file to something like this:
ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("Internet.mdb")
This is if the database is in the same folder as the project and asp files otherwise you may need to add a path as well like:
ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("../Internet.mdb") or
ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("TestProject/Internet.mdb")
Hope this helps.

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login