CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> Archive -> GotoCode Archive

Page loads 10x slower than near-copy!

Print topic Send  topic

VBAjedi
Posted: 11/17/2003, 1:19 PM

I'm learning CodeCharge Studio implementation on a Windows Apache/PHP/MySQL setup. I built a sample MySQL dbase, generated a PHP-based site using CodeCharge (basic view and edit pages for about 20 tables, with password login), and tinkered with it for a while to start learning CCS. Then, to see if I could repeat what I had done, I generated a new site which I thought was a near-copy of the first, and pointed it to the same database using the same ODBC connection.

The problem is that the second site loads larger grids 10x slower than the first site (10+ seconds vs. 1 second, both on my dev box using localhost). As best I can tell from my troubleshooting tests, the problem has something to do with the site, not the ODBC connection (I tried creating a second ODBC connection and having both sites use that connection - no improvement)

Anyone experienced something similar or have suggestions on what I can check/try?

Thanks!

VBAjedi
VBAjedi
Posted: 11/18/2003, 2:31 PM

Still urgently need suggestions on this one! If I have left out important details, please feel free to request them. . .

Many thanks,

VBAjedi
Jenny Horn
Posted: 11/21/2003, 12:27 PM

You might check the actual queries and see if they are the same. For instance if you are selecting * on the slower one that might be the problem.
Robert
Posted: 11/21/2003, 6:59 PM

You should really try the intended os!
Has your platform been tested for very long?
Virtual hosts, single ip address?
Maybe check this in the httpd.conf:

BindAddress your_ip_address

I forget what I was doing awhile back, I think it was set to * vs. the ip_address and this was way goofed up on my windows machine.

Otherwise, maybe try doing it without a style template for your testing?
take care
RonB
Posted: 11/24/2003, 9:14 AM

The word "near" is probably doing it :-)

Some one mentioned the use of * in your sql queries and that's a grid starting point if your table holds a lot of rows and has a lot of fields. In general it's a good idea to think about what you want to show and just select the needed fields. I must say 10 seconds for a grid to show is steep for mysql. If it were and oracle database that would not have surprised me with queries returning large resultsets but with mysql I never have any problems with speed.
So maybe you could print out the code of the slow page and look at the code in the original design line by line until you find something different. That's probably where the holdup is.

As for intended os (someone mentioned this in a reply to your post) windows is probably a bit slower but the results I have had with win2k, apache, php and mysql are very good indeed. Not that much slower then the same setup under linux.

So again...find out what the difference is between the original project and this one on the slow pages and you will probably find the answer.

Ron
VBAjedi
Posted: 11/24/2003, 11:05 AM

Thanks all for your input! That's a nice list of things to check in the future.

In this case, I ended up contacting CodeCharge support, who looked at the suspect page and figured out that the load time was due to my modifications of the search form to include several listboxes which were populated from the database. They said it was loading/formatting them twice for some reason. Anyway, I took out the list boxes and all is now well.

For the record, that was the best response time I've ever had from a software support department. . . they were ON it!

VBAjedi

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login