CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Modify Excel output

Print topic Send  topic

laneoc

Posted: 01/20/2016, 9:39 AM

Looking for tips...

I'd like to modify the output before sending it to Excel. I have some "before.." event to hide links, etc. This is different.

I have cells in tables which I want to eliminate leading and trailing spaces. Example: I want this...

<td>   999   </td>

... changed to this...

<td>999</td>

I know how to use PHP string functions to make this happen, but I don't know how to grab the output before it is published.

Any tips, suggestions?

Posted: 01/20/2016, 8:43 PM

laneoc - is there a reason why you aren't trimming the spaces off in BeforeShow or in the query?

I'm assuming you have a displayed report that needs the spaces and the Excel doesn't (or converts the values in the wrong way) when you throw it to Excel?

I would suggest str_replace() but you would need to do the entire $main_block. It might help if you could put some class or other identifyer on the <td> like '<td class="trim_me">' then you could look for them only. I'm sure regex expressions would work with 'preg_replace()' to allow it.

see also: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5210287/how-replace-...ng-preg-replace

Also - if you are passing a flag to Export, you could do the trimming based on the flag, and leave the displayed version with the spaces intact (eg: in the Grid BeforeShow do all the trimming there instead of individual fields each getting a flag check and trim)

Cheers

Eric
MichaelMcDonald

Posted: 01/20/2016, 9:40 PM

I went for the query solution with excel (export as .csv) as some earlier versions of excel couldn't translate the float field into currency/number when clicking from the grid.

View profile  Send private message
eratech

Posted: 01/21/2016, 2:36 AM

MichaelMcDonald - I agree - I usually do a separate query/service and export as CSV. Duplicating queries but it's cleaner in the long run.

Where I can't I've always had luck with using "mso-number-format" classes in <td> which bump Excel into line most of the time, especially when needing to keep leading Zeros in invoice and payroll numbers I format as Text so 'helpful' Excel doesn't muck it up.

eg:
<td style="mso-number-format:\@">00001234</td>
see for examples of formating: http://niallodoherty.com/post.cfm/basic-html-to-excel-formatting

Eric
MichaelMcDonald

Posted: 01/21/2016, 5:47 PM

One day MS will "find" a vulnerability and remove support for the format.

The biggest admission they never made was making the GUI an optional install during setup from Windows Server 2008 onwards - to (laugh) quote: Remove the scope of the attack vector from the operating system :)

Why I will always go with .csv :-D

View profile  Send private message
laneoc

Posted: 01/25/2016, 11:36 AM

Thank you each for the thought contribution.

I'm using Eric's str_replace() on the $main_block. Here's my code in the Page_BeforeOutput event:

global $main_block;  
	if (ccGetParam("export","")=="1")  
	{	$temp_block=$main_block;  
		$temp_block=str_replace(">(&nbsp;",">",$temp_block);  
		$temp_block=str_replace("&nbsp;<","<",$temp_block);  
		$temp_block=str_replace("> ",">",$temp_block);  
		$temp_block=str_replace(" >","<",$temp_block);  
		$main_block=$temp_block;  
	}  

Somewhat verbose but readable and maintainable by my maintenance team in the future (me).

Cheers!

Lane

Posted: 01/26/2016, 6:28 PM

Quote laneoc:
Somewhat verbose but readable and maintainable by my maintenance team in the future (me).

I have the same problem - the person most likely to read the code in 6-12-48 months is Me!

Glad you got it working.

Eric

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login