CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

Honest Question

Print topic Send  topic

vandalen

Posted: 06/22/2015, 2:21 PM

Ok, I just got my Annual Subscription Renewal email.

Any idea if they are still in business developing the product? IOW, I understand that they have someone answer emails from time to time but ... the product seems to be forgotten.

Would you renew?
View profile  Send private message
Cris

Posted: 06/23/2015, 12:03 AM

Hi,

My opinion is that CCS is an excellent software but is too complicated to develop, because of the myriad of languages embedded,

I'm already moving all my projects of Visual Studio

I think, now , only Konrad Musial can reassure all ITS CUSTOMERS

materix

Posted: 06/23/2015, 1:22 AM

I do not think the product has a future, so I did not renew my maintenance plan.
E43509

Posted: 06/23/2015, 4:53 AM

We stopped renewing also.
Really liked the product but appears to have no future.
Garfieldus

Posted: 06/23/2015, 5:02 AM

I moved on two years ago.

To be honest I'm amazed users are even contemplating renewing!!!

ccs DOT garfieldus DOT com
robertmann

Posted: 06/23/2015, 10:38 PM

The product has a future because I use CCS 4.3 for several years and will continue using it for a while.
There is just no reason to renew until there is something worthy of renewal.

Posted: 06/24/2015, 12:48 AM

As far as PHP goes you can do anything with it neatly if you get some jquery knowledge aswell.

I guess these days some of the other products look attractive and offer quick-to-publish features that are spurned by new min - mobile app markets but at the end of the day if you want to stretch your imagination and are prepared to put in the work to learn everything you can do with it's pretty hard to find anything anywhere as near as flexible.

Which brings me to my next comment - why all the fuss about how it is supported. A few real bugs, sure, and support will probably take care of them, but so many other things people raise as issues really are intellectual knowledge & capacity questions. If you want a $20000 sidchrome spanner set, as far as PHP goes, this is one.

solesz

Posted: 06/25/2015, 9:04 AM

I never had maintenance plan. I have browsed through the forum and found no reason to have it. I have been using CCS 7-8 years ago. During this period I never missed this plan.

But it has no any relevance to the future of the product.
If all of you browse back the forum you probably find the same type of comment after version 4.3 came out.
If you look into the product updates page: http://support.yessoftware.com/updates.asp you can see Yessoftware was never too quick to come up with new version.

I still hope they will bring a version 6, mainly concentrating on native HTML5 support and a good structure for responsive design. I would be a customer for it. I do not need even backward compatibility and conversion from older projects.

solesz
Oper

Posted: 06/25/2015, 9:53 AM

True That.

I almost 100% sure we will see new version(s)

Quote solesz:
I never had maintenance plan. I have browsed through the forum and found no reason to have it. I have been using CCS 7-8 years ago. During this period I never missed this plan.

But it has no any relevance to the future of the product.
If all of you browse back the forum you probably find the same type of comment after version 4.3 came out.
If you look into the product updates page: http://support.yessoftware.com/updates.asp you can see Yessoftware was never too quick to come up with new version.

I still hope they will bring a version 6, mainly concentrating on native HTML5 support and a good structure for responsive design. I would be a customer for it. I do not need even backward compatibility and conversion from older projects.

solesz

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
Oper

Posted: 06/25/2015, 11:03 AM

CCS 3.2 2007

CCS 4.3 2010

CCS 5.1 2013

CCS 6.0 around (2016)

but we never know.

PS: i will be using CCS5 for long time, also 4.3, Everthing in our company can be done really quick with CCS5 and CCS4.3

Please do backup first
eratech

Posted: 06/27/2015, 3:09 AM

I'm actually glad there isn't a new version every year or 2 as I have a couple of big projects and I don't want to upgrade the projects and retest everything every year.

(See Visual Studio 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and their associated .NET framework updates)

Yes, a lot of the stuff upgrades nicely, but sometimes it doesn't (CCS 3 project migrated through CCS4 and CCS5 had some problems as you would expect moving from .NET 2.0 to 3.5, and prototypejs to jquery)

There is also the cost - clients usually don't want to pay for the upgrade time if the project is working fine from their side.

Having said that, I would like some items updated: security and password hashing examples are ancient (MD5!) ; some of the really old MySQL database code that is raising Deprecated warnings on PHP;

Responsive layout would be nice, but incorporating Bootstrap in Master pages and adding custom Grid and Record to the Builders is not hard.

Cheers

Eric
jpser

Posted: 06/27/2015, 4:03 AM

the total lack of communication of the direction prooves that even there are effort to develop new release , which is not sure , as we cannot trust on any roadmap, it seems it is useless to keep on with this very good product

Posted: 06/29/2015, 5:48 AM

Quote Oper:
CCS 3.2 2007

CCS 4.3 2010

CCS 5.1 2013

CCS 6.0 around (2016)

CCS 4.3 was latest major release. CCS 5.1 did not bring any real improvements to the table.
Cris

Posted: 06/29/2015, 7:25 AM

Hi guys,

We must have patience. Surely they are working hard to give an exceptional product that supports all new technologies.
And since they use different languages, the development certainly goes slow. This is normal.
I think that would be enough, by YSESOFTWARE a press release to appease all these alarmist

eratech

Posted: 06/29/2015, 9:38 PM

Quote materix:
Quote Oper:
CCS 3.2 2007

CCS 4.3 2010

CCS 5.1 2013

CCS 6.0 around (2016)

CCS 4.3 was latest major release. CCS 5.1 did not bring any real improvements to the table.

materix - I find that 5.1 is useful. From my experience I appreciated the switch from prototypejs to jquery for the JS stuff and AJAX extensions to forms were nice to be in the Builders instead of a bunch of manual stuff; the better Master pages; and (it's rarely used I know) but the ability to add your own custom Grid, Record etc components and use them in the Builders makes including extra styling like Bootstrap easier.

I use both 5.1 and 4.3 currently for different projects, and going to 4.3 now is a little jarring.

Of course, it depends a lot on what you use.

Cheers

Eric

andrewi

Posted: 07/01/2015, 5:02 PM

Despite few renewals it's good to see the community of long-standing users responding to this question. At least we're all still monitoring the forum!

I still enjoy using it. Don't like the little bugs that I'm sure they'd have ironed out if they were still releasing updates.

Cheers
Andrew
aewhite901

Posted: 09/04/2015, 4:08 AM

I am waiting for the next version.
Looking forward to it.
scranmer

Posted: 04/19/2016, 5:23 AM

while they may not respond too well on the forums (read notes & footer this is a community place). I have always had a fast response with any support or sales questions sent direct to them. I just actually contacted them through their support system and got a response within 12 hours

i am reviewing development systems again now before we embark on a new large project,asked them about whats happening and can summarise the following :-

1. yes its always actively maintained.
2. no special new version was released mainly due to PHP mess over the last few years. now all is settled they have recently released 5.1 a PHP7 fully compatible version.
3. while they are working on new features they cannot provide an release date or a full list as they are not close to finishing.

being a small development team i can fully understand the issue of not giving out a roadmap or feature list. its a shame more people have not been more trusting and are not putting forward ideas or helping.

sorry just my 2p worth of a system that may not be perfect but allows you do to so much so easily.
Stanj

Posted: 04/27/2016, 1:31 PM

I am not a programmer but have been able to accomplish a lot with CC and CCS over the years, 14-15 years I guess creating projects for my own businesses. The biggest one was a complete tour creation, booking, and ticketing system for my incoming tour operator business that ran a 150 employee business.
So I tend to be patient with the lack of response or signs of life. But I have a new project and really don't know if I should keep going in the CCS direction. All it would take is a few comments like "hey, we are still here and intend to release a new version someday. The utter disregard for the customers by totally ignoring the question of "is there anyone there?" is the worst example of failure to communicate I have ever seen in a business, any business.

I tested out another framework a few months ago from a company that is active on social media and updates, videos for its main features and an active community. The work flow was so different than I have been used to that I am still not sure whether it is worth investing in the time needed to learn how to do things I can do easily with CCS now.
Maybe YesSoftware would not be so slow in development if they did not have to support so many languages which are not used much. I don't remember anyone posting about their PERL os ColdFusion development with CCS for years. No one would care 1/2 the languages and platforms were dropped so the developers could spend their time on PHP and .NET
Oper

Posted: 04/27/2016, 1:45 PM

My Personal Point of View:

we are still with CCS few new Proyect and we dont have any Isue with CCS 4.3. Even using Windows 10 Pro

Not Using CCS 5 still so (just testing).
For us there is nothing we can not do with CCS (for now CCS 4.3)

Please do backup first
robertmann

Posted: 04/27/2016, 2:45 PM

They give answers via email if you ask right questions. Some time they answered something like please dont buy product you want to be different in future, but something that you can see and use now.
So the problem may be many people use CCS4 and don't need to upgrade, so why create more updates when people don't use previous updates. Waiting for some unknown future update is same as waiting for some unknown future products. If you need something right now then you buy what exists. But not what may exist in future.
Do not buy any TV because TVs will not have upgrades? But if you want future upgrade then get it from different company when better product exist. Or you will never buy anything if you wait for something different in future.
And looks like CCS is free for you because you already have it, Stan :-)

But seriously, from some chat with Yessoftware they said that technology changes quickly and too much for CCS, so I believe they work on different product for replacing CCS.
If this happens then people will complain that its too big update. So no updates no good, big updates no good, small updates not enough or different from something I want. Everything not good and I must find other product thats good because it will have unknown updates and be different in future.
Oh, this happened with Windows - many updates and everyone afraid next one, asking where to get old one :-)

Posted: 04/27/2016, 3:22 PM

It is not that CCS can't keep working on what it did 10 years ago, that is not the problem. The problem is that the whole world of on-line world has changed and is changing so can CCS be relevant in 12 months? If you are trying to service the needs of 2005, it remains fine, in fact very good. I am not the most up-to-date person but still I use the whole infrastructure of data communications and web apps differently than I did in years past. My on-line shore excursion booking site is used by more tablets and smartphones than home computers for example.
Oper

Posted: 04/27/2016, 3:25 PM

My New Application run fine in Mobile and table, its up to you how far you can go

Please do backup first
MichaelMcDonald

Posted: 05/02/2016, 6:17 PM

The same code run on mobiles as run on PC's.

To make application for mobile learn Bootstrap or other responsive collapsible table columns.

Example: <div class="col-md-4 col-sm-12"></div> - opens as 4 medium sized columns in landscape and collapses under each other into 12 small columns in portrait when resizing to mobile phone.

And maybe some jquery ajax post/response to php/asp and use jquery to render the json results in <tbody></tbody>

Don't even have to do the jquery stuff if your happy with POST Submit and screen refresh ....

That's really all there is to it.

ccsminer

Posted: 05/27/2016, 12:12 AM

As long as the boards are active, there is reason to be optimistic. :)
eratech

Posted: 05/27/2016, 1:24 AM

Well, I couldn't post a reply to a question in the ASP forum...

Maybe ASP is being (finally) dropped <starting my own rumours>

:-)

Eric
solesz

Posted: 05/30/2016, 1:31 AM

It seems you are the only one not allowed to even answer a topic in ASP.
Maybe not the ASP has been dropped but you :-D
eratech

Posted: 05/31/2016, 9:32 PM

@solesz - I have been feeling a bit older lately...
Slower to compile in the morning, more framework errors in my knees.

I could wake up one morning and find DEPRECATED printed on my forehead!!!
:-D

E
MichaelMcDonald

Posted: 06/01/2016, 12:34 AM

My operating system is redundant and my daemons are filling up my memory.

Dags.

solesz

Posted: 06/01/2016, 10:14 AM

It is good we still have our capability to laugh. O.k. maybe not having the capablity withold urinate...
But never mind. Even you won't realize.
:-D
 Page 1 of 2  Next Last

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login