CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

CodeCharge Studio - quality?

Print topic Send  topic

stevef

Posted: 08/11/2013, 12:46 PM

I've downloaded the latest trial of CodeCharge Studio (5.1.0.18470) to try it out for a small, simple PHP/MySQL project (Login, Enter data into 1 table, and an Admin login to retrieve entered data as a report).

I found CodeCharge Studio very difficult to work with, very kludgy and slow to get basic things done.

There are a lot of features in CodeCharge Studio, but it was not useful to me in quickly developing the simple web app mentioned above.

PN: I'm not looking for replies to this post; this is just a message to YesSoftware developers to please improve the product.

View profile  Send private message
rbkinsey

Posted: 08/11/2013, 7:15 PM

I haven't tried 5.1, but am very happy with 5.0. Only problem was understanding how to get the environmental issues addressed (works best with windows7 & lots of memory) and conversion from older code to 5.0 is problematic, otherwise a good and quick way to produce applications. 4.3 was very stable, but 5.0 offers much more and is even more stable. Once things are set up correctly getting a simple PHP/MySQL project done takes about the same time as doing a statement of work, so I end up using it to create a statement of work and then am that much closer to the final version. Really just tweaking final adjustments for the client. I've also been able to create some huge, very complex and interactive type screens which others told me couldn't be done. A message to YesSoftware developers great job!
ckroon

Posted: 08/11/2013, 11:16 PM

It's not an easy learn... but once you get it.. you can ROCK simple projects with speed.

I have built new components while on the phone with clients....

Give it a chance. It's complicated because it does a lot of complicated things for you.

There are a few regulars on here that can give you intensive boot camp training to get you started.
It will be worth it.. trust me.

Posted: 08/12/2013, 2:11 AM

I too had issues with Code charge
but I kept at it and now its all we use
look at the samples and work through then

you will get the hang of it
andrewi

Posted: 08/12/2013, 1:44 PM

If it's your first time using Codecharge then it might seem a lot of work to create your one-form, one-report site. That's the definition of a learning curve I guess; next time might find that a larger, twenty-form site takes no longer to create, and then it would be worthwhile.

Not every tool will suit everyone. But, as a reasonably seasoned user, if someone asked me to do such a job, I'd find it a pleasure to fire up a new CCS project and build it in perhaps 35 minutes. CCS will do most of it for you; CCS 5 will even design the database (I believe). It would then take me several times as long to decide on the colour scheme...

What were some of the simple things that you felt were kludgy in CCS? Thinking about it, perhaps it was the styling and basic HTML/CSS editing, which can be slower if you don't buy in to the CCS layout model. On the other hand, you are free to build any HTML around the CCS templates that you wish (and CCS5 lets you save custom layouts for reuse), but that of course needs more investment in understanding how the program works.
DataDoIT
Posted: 08/12/2013, 2:27 PM

You guys are all too nice with this clown. Too much bandwidth being
wasted on someone incapable of RTFM. I can think of a dozen
CodeChargers that can create what Bozo needed in less time than it took
to sign up in a forum and post that rant.
JessicaRobort

very helpful
stephane

Posted: 10/18/2013, 8:41 AM

What are the alternatives to CCS for PHP development?

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login