CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

Migration from MS Access to MS SQL

Print topic Send  topic

Dreamcatchers

Posted: 04/23/2012, 4:49 PM

I need to migrate my CCS 4.3 application based on MS Access database to SQL Server database. I discovered a migration tool from Microsoft for doing this called SSMA for Access 5.2.

Before I jump into this I wanted to check if anyone has done this and ran into any issues.

1. Can I simply change the connection string in my project to point to the SQL Server Database and then re-publish the application?

2. If I have custom code will it be affected?

3. Any issues with date and time formats?

*Note: I have learned from other blogs that table names and field names cannot contain spaces in SQL Server where MS Access allowed it. I am making corrections to these prior to migration.

Posted: 04/26/2012, 8:23 AM

As long as the tables and fields are named the same, you shouldn't have any issues.

I migrated from MS Access to MySQL with a few test runs and it seemed to go fine.

Good luck!
View profile  Send private message
andrewi

Posted: 04/27/2012, 7:02 AM

Look out for any boolean table columns. Depending on how they are used, you could get different results from some queries.

In Access, -1 = True, 0 = False
In almost every other database, 1 = True, 0 = False.

Andrew
zhucehao

Posted: 04/28/2012, 5:15 AM

Good luck!

Dreamcatchers

Posted: 04/28/2012, 2:31 PM

I ran SSMA from microsoft and it built all the tables and move my data. However all the date fields are not behaving as expected. My programs in CCS don't display any date information from the database. I can look in the database and see the data is there.

The things I noticed are:
1. CCS Program fields are not pointing to the date fields. Seems to be an upper case/lower case issue. I select the date field that is there which now begins upper case
2. If I change the date type in CCS to text, the programs then display dates
3. The date format displayed is not following the format mask of mm/dd/yyyy, instead it displays as yyyy-mm-dd

Any suggestions? Do I have to delete every date column and recreate it. This is a new app and I have very little data to re-enter.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login