CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

(SOLVED)readmore break on my site

Print topic Send  topic

popularanky

Posted: 03/07/2012, 10:50 PM

I have a website that is use to post information like blog. All I want is a code that will help me break from the second line of word and put the readmore link to a new page that shows the full details of the post. Like on blogs
View profile  Send private message
JayEdgar

Posted: 03/08/2012, 8:41 AM

That is a fairly complicated request for a forum like this. This would require a page or two of custom code.
clahti2

Posted: 03/08/2012, 7:56 PM

Quote popularanky:
I have a website that is use to post information like blog. All I want is a code that will help me break from the second line of word and put the readmore link to a new page that shows the full details of the post. Like on blogs

Hmmm...this is off the top of my head, untested. How are you getting the articles? I assume you are storing them in a database. Let's say you have a table called "articles" consisting of article_id and article_text. The article_id is the primary key and article_text field is a blob or whatever.

Now let's assume you have a page articles_summary.php and articles_detail.php. Place a grid on the summary page called articles, select * from articles table. Then on the grid populate two controls, one label control for {article_text} and one link control for {article_id}. Finally in the before show event for the {article_text}:

$pattern = '/\n/';  
preg_match($pattern, $articles->article_text->GetValue(), $matches);  
$articles->article_text->SetValue($matches[0]);  

The above should shorten the label control to display the text up until the first line break.  The {article_id} link control should have static text "Read More..." and link to articles_detail.php passing the parameter article_id.  The detail page can then have a "record" which has a label showing the full article text. 

popularanky

Posted: 03/08/2012, 10:08 PM

Quote :
Hmmm...this is off the top of my head, untested. How are you getting the articles? I assume you are storing them in a database. Let's say you have a table called "articles" consisting of article_id and article_text. The article_id is the primary key and article_text field is a blob or whatever. Now let's assume you have a page articles_summary.php and articles_detail.php. Place a grid on the summary page called articles, select * from articles table. Then on the grid populate two controls, one label control for {article_text} and one link control for {article_id}. Finally in the before show event for the {article_text}:
 $pattern = '/\n/'; preg_match($pattern, $articles->article_text->GetValue(), $matches); $articles->article_text->SetValue($matches[0]); 
  The above should shorten the label control to display the text up until the first line break.  The {article_id} link control should have static text "Read More..." and link to articles_detail.php passing the parameter article_id.  The detail page can then have a "record" which has a label showing the full article text. 
I have tried the code and it return blank. Anyway, My table is called: problem and the field is: pro_desc, also on the grid. I have problem grid and pro_desc as the display column. this is the code
$pattern = '/\n/'; preg_match($pattern, $problem->pro_desc->GetValue(), $matches); $problem->pro_desc->SetValue($matches[0]);
and nothing is displaying on pro_desc column.
popularanky

Posted: 03/08/2012, 10:42 PM

Getting this error now
Quote :
Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\wimbid\Index_events.php on line 22
and line 22 is
$problem->pro_desc->SetValue($matches[0]);

clahti2

Posted: 03/10/2012, 1:18 PM

Quote popularanky:
Getting this error now
Quote :
Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\wimbid\Index_events.php on line 22
and line 22 is
$problem->pro_desc->SetValue($matches[0]);

Ok, I said my code was untested :-), try something like this:

$pattern = '/\n/';  
$string = $problem->pro_desc->GetValue();  
if (preg_match($pattern, $string, $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE)) {  
  //we found a line break, get the offset  
  $offset = $matches[0][1];  
  $chopstring = substr($string,0,$offset);  
} else {  
  //no line break, so just grab the first 100 characters;  
  $chopstring = substr($string,0,100);  
}  
$problem->pro_desc->SetValue($chopstring);  

I tested this and it should work for you.
Wreckmaster

Posted: 03/10/2012, 4:54 PM

Hi clahti2 thanks for the code,
I was looking for some thing like this recently.
is there a simple piece of code which would allow me to chop at 100 characters for (sample) article-id and article-text ?

thanks again

popularanky

Posted: 03/10/2012, 9:42 PM

Hi Clahti2
I highly appreciate your support. your professional help has really help me solve the issue.

Thanks very Much. Will always remain grateful.
drLeo

Posted: 03/12/2012, 4:27 AM

Quote popularanky:
Hi Clahti2
I highly appreciate your support. your professional help has really help me solve the issue.

Thanks very Much. Will always remain grateful.

Can do it with Jquery as well !
clahti2

Posted: 03/12/2012, 9:51 AM

Quote Wreckmaster:
Hi clahti2 thanks for the code,
I was looking for some thing like this recently.
is there a simple piece of code which would allow me to chop at 100 characters for (sample) article-id and article-text ?

thanks again

$chopstring = substr($string,0,100);

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login