CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

Will Caching end Session Timeouts

Print topic Send  topic

Dreamcatchers

Posted: 02/02/2012, 11:39 AM

I struggle with my hosting provider doing session timouts every 5 minutes of non activity. Some forms take users a long time to collect the information then enter. By the time they hit submit they get the login screen and their input is lost.

I thought about modifying the common.asp to store session variables in cookies and then automatically reinstate the session using the cookie data when the server clears the sessions.

Not wanting to mess with common.asp I had a new idea, caching.

If I cache my site will it help to overcome this issue?

Posted: 02/02/2012, 11:53 AM

in theory having login with cookies enabled should solve your problem - but it won't - I had exactly the same problem and had an up and down with support with no resolution

it goes like this:

if the session expires CCS will log you in again e.g. getting the cookies values & then setting the login the session variables again. what comes next is the problem. CCS then on purpose clear out all the form values (they do a response.redirect directly after the login and dont pass the URL parameters - effectively losing you submitted data)

so you have 2 options hack the common.asp and correct the CCS code or do as we do - we wrote our own login code in the beginning of the common.asp that does what CCS should have done - just without the logic error

View profile  Send private message
Dreamcatchers

Posted: 02/03/2012, 7:21 AM

Thanks TheunisP for the insight. looks like I am destined to modify the common.asp and correct the issue. My intial thought is to allow CCS to reset the session from the cookie value then replace the responde.direct with window.history.back()

Does your login routine handle logging of user logins? I think a more comprehensive login routine would be:
1. Auto reset lost session with cookie value
2. use configurable user login/logout logging

Posted: 02/11/2012, 1:02 AM

I use the CCS cookies save as is

but force the relogin if need be in the beginning of the common.asp

View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login