CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Editable grid and HTML5 local storage

Print topic Send  topic

basvarkevisser

Posted: 01/18/2012, 10:40 AM

I have built a complex editable grid with many computations.

Now I do a submit of the grid at every change of a value and do the computations in PHP.

My customer has slow internet connection at some sites. This gives noticeable delay, although I am using an Update Panel.

So I think of using HTML5 local storage and do the computations in Javascript.

Has anyone of you tried local storage in combination with an Editable Grid ?

thanks,
Bas
View profile  Send private message
andy

Posted: 01/18/2012, 12:09 PM

You can certainly do computations on fields using javascript and then submit the editable grid when you are done.
The advantage of submitting the editable grid is that it will validate your grid.
If you are making calls to the database after every field is modified then that could be a lot of server-side processing...
What kind of computations are you doing?
Why do you need the update panel?

RAD tools for rich UI controls:
http://www.koolphptools.com
basvarkevisser

Posted: 01/18/2012, 1:10 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I chose to do database calls after every change because the grid is very complex and I wanted to avoid to use Javascript to program all the logic. Letting PHP and SQL do the work is easiest for me.

My customer is used to Excel and has put his whole planning process into one smart spreadsheet of many megabytes size :-) He has used this for more than 10 years now.
The nice thing is that I showed the application as I have built it now and he is very enthusiastic because it is working as he expected.

On a single sheet he does planning and a kind of workload balancing.
He plans training courses, has trainers with certain skills, they have some availability percentage and a target number of hours they need to fulfill in a year. So I need all of that on the screen for this month and the upcoming month (every column is one week).

The sheet has totals for every row (number of trainers) and every column (number of training courses given). And there is some more stuff in there, like a moving forward total, too much to explain here ;-)

My worry is the internet speed at his offices and the amount of hand-work I need to do in Javascript. In that sense I am not using the code-generation that Codecharge gives me.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login