CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Problem w/file upload - redering thumbnails

Print topic Send  topic

acedrummond

Posted: 11/14/2011, 2:02 PM

I just spent about 3 days trying to resolve a problem I had with the above.

I built a page with grid and record builder and I have a grid with up to 3 photos on every line. There could be no photos or up to 3. Each photo name is saved in its own field.

The photos are uploaded using the file upload capability to add and edit records.

What I ran into seems like Windows vs. UNIX stuff but here goes:

On windows platform (development) it works like this: when there is no photo I do not want to show anything and use a BEFORE ROW SHOW to make the $containers visible or not.

$Container->item_thumb_1->Visibility = False;
$Container->item_thumb_2->Visibility = False;
$Container->item_thumb_3->Visibility = False;

If ($Container->item_thumb_1->GetValue() <> NULL) {$Container->item_thumb_1->Visibility = True;}

If ($Container->item_thumb_2->GetValue() <> NULL) {$Component->item_thumb_2->Visibility = True;}

If ($Container->item_thumb_3->GetValue() <> NULL) {$Component->item_thumb_3->Visibility = True;}

If the visible property of the picture is YES no matter what I do the empty box shows up in the grid.even though I have excersized the above code (used an echo to insure.)

However; if I put this same code on my host webserver it works perfectly! If there is no picture the control is empty as I would like it to be.

Any thoughts?

The other problem I ran into with this is that for the file upload parameters are problematic i.e. the file folder I have specified as ..//auction_app/files which is where I store my uploaded photos.

The temporary folder on windows works with nothing there or %temp; however, on the webserver it doesn't like the temp name to be anything but blank and balks with error messages that temporary folder is invalid.

Right now the temporary files are stacking up in my application root, but at least I am able to operate.

While I am able to move forward with my application and production is OK - I don't understand what I've encountered here?

After using this development system for several years I can state that most things are consistent and work once I get some experience with them, but this one has wasted a lot of time and effort and if someone has some experience with situations like this I would like some input.

The good news is my application is working perfectly other than putting some temp picture files where I don't want them!

Thanks for listening!

Posted: 11/18/2011, 6:05 AM

acedrummond,

This seems like a very interesting issue. In my personal experience (at least that I can remember :-D ) I have not encountered this issue. This might be worth putting in a ticket to CCS support ( http://support.yessoftware.com )and seeing if they have an answer.
View profile  Send private message
acedrummond

Posted: 11/18/2011, 7:40 AM

It is interesting and I did send to support for some investigation. I even pay an annual support fee as well.

As I said I spent days on this one. Support did not respond by the time I found a work around or since I advised them of this work around I found.

What I learned after more than 5 days working on this is that it was that it actually worked correctly with Firefox, but not with other browsers i.e. Chrome and IE!

I was fooled because my testing was done with Firefox!

We all know IE has its problems!

So I went looking at the page source for those pages and discovered that the link was not populated - this was interpreted as a blank on the screen with Firefox (what I wanted) and as an empty fame that when clicked on took you to the file directory.

My idea then was to put a .jpg into the picture directory saying 'No picture available'; however, the DEFAULT value for the upload feature did nothing to populate the frame for me.

I then tries to do a before row show to populate the container with the default file name and it would not point to the right directory.

So, after a bit of manual reading I found this SET LINK capability and it solved the problem and now I can get some rest!

I sent most of this information to support hoping they would investigate and would answer at some point. I suspect the problem is either with the file upload capability or a combination of the way I built what I was trying to display. (I was trying to display a .jpg. in a frame 50 x50 pixels that would display a larger image when clicked.)

It all works with the key browsers; however it would be something that support should look at and I was waiting to se what they do in the next few days before closing this issue.

I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of response so far to be honest, but don't want to chase them.

I really like the product a lot and have many years IT background, but am concerned about ongoing support of the product and long term improvement to it.

Thanks for your reply.

PS I did get response from support re temp folder and I just specified it incorrectly, I think I was strung out on the browser issue!

Posted: 11/18/2011, 1:30 PM

This website http://beeliving.co.uk/ was designed with codecharge php/mysql.

Images are resized as thumbnail 150px and larger image 400px.

Regards

Jerry Vernon MA
Birmingham UK
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login