CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> PHP

Very Basic Question

Print topic Send  topic

hsan

Posted: 07/15/2011, 11:54 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, I am very new in this. I need to insert new record in the table "Models" which is linked many-to one with table "Categories". When user chooses "add new model" it should prompt him to chose "Category" (which has to be in dropdown box) first and then insert new Model. How does this work? Thanks in advance.
View profile  Send private message
tfertil

Posted: 07/15/2011, 3:06 PM

Hi hsan,

Your question gave us very limited information, so I'm guessing: this is your first web app project? Are you using CodeCharge Studio?

If so, you need to look at how other pages function. This is not a "standard desktop application" model. With CodeCharge you can create a "record page" which takes care of almost everything you need to view/edit/delete one record, including creating listboxes for fields that are external keys -keys to another tables, like you "Category" field-.

Hope this gives you some clues...

hsan

Posted: 07/15/2011, 6:00 PM

I do understand that much. I just do not know how to pull up dependencies. I have "add new model" option and I can add new models, but I can not link them to the categories (ie "chose category" then add new model for that particular category). I know this is basics, so if this is a laughing stock question just ignore it, but do not send me sarcastic comments please. Of course i am using CCS and this is my first project. Is it not obvious?
tfertil

Posted: 07/16/2011, 6:59 AM

hsan:

The comments was not sarcastic: you just didn't provide enough information to help you.

So again I'm guessing:

If you want to choose a category and then add records for that particular category, you need a search box with a category listbox and a record or an editable grid to enter new records, where you include a textbox or a listbox for the category field which you initialize with the value from the category selector in the search box.

You can use the Record Builder to create both forms in a page, and then add the code to initialize the category field for new records.

So a step-list:

1. Create an empty page
2. Use the record builder to create a record for your table.
3. Don't forget to add the search box with a listbox for category
4. Modify the category field at the record form to be initialized with the category selected value.

Regards,

mamboBROWN

Posted: 07/17/2011, 7:16 AM

hsan,
Checkout this example: http://examples.codecharge.com/ExamplePack/ManyToManyLi...p?project_id=17

Also, you might want to checkout the CCS example packs because it might answer any other questions that you might have: http://examples.codecharge.com/

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login