CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

loosing records in Access DB

Print topic Send  topic

Waspman

Posted: 04/28/2011, 4:09 AM

I have a simple application that uses an Access DB.

It uses the Jet driver to connect.

Thing is I'm loose records, big lumps of records and they seem to be random. I'd say it was without reason, but there must be something causes it. We've tried several different servers just in case it was something with the Jet driver.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?

Posted: 08/28/2011, 11:16 PM

I have run into a few environments where the Access DB is use was designed using Access 2K7 and/or 2K10, then the ASP pages uses a simple ado connection (JET) to access the DB.

If the Access is 2K 3 (or below), no harm no fowl, however if it is 2K7 or above - MAJOR OOPS!

The reason is that the newer structures,indices and the like are completely different and records (I've even seen tables) dissapear if inapropriately handled. The same principle holds true if you try to mix and match an SQL connection with a Native SQL connection. The pooling is different, the connection data is treated differently and all manner of things.

One trick that may help is to turn of any Error Trapping in place and see if an error event is raised in the script.

Another trick would be to write the actual SQL string (i.e the update string) to a file, do no actually execute the sql command. Then copy the sql string into your query tool and execute it in the DB environment. If there are no issues, then it may be something in your command string (that isn't evident looking at the code) or it may pretty much your connection (JET) to the db or something of that nature.

As a personal note, I always use ADOX for any access db processes if I am scripting the code myself.

Many reasons for this, but my primary reasons are that i can change the actual DB, drop tables, indices, change actual column paramaters etc. Using ADOX is alot easier. One can even query the engine to get all kinds of details regarding the columns, indices etc. - bit of a learning curve, but well worth it

If using CCS4, let it do all the connection management and work for you.
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login