CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual PHP Web Development

Visually Create Internationalized Web Applications, Web Reports, Calendars, and more.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> General/Other

what are your thoughts on this review of CodeCharge

Print topic Send  topic

kuut

Posted: 02/28/2011, 6:28 AM

found this on a software review site. your thoughts?

"Codecharge creates code that is impossible to read, impossible to maintain outside the application, requires special software to edit which ties your developers to a specific environment, creates mountains of unnecessary code which slows server execution, makes fixing problems on a website impossible without the source files, and doesn't foster professional growth through the learning of standardized coding practices."
View profile  Send private message
Oper

Posted: 02/28/2011, 6:39 AM

1) Codecharge creates code that is impossible to read - "Not True"

2) Requires special software to edit which ties your developers to a specific environmen - "(Its a RAD)

3) creates mountains of unnecessary code which slows server execution - "Depend what you call Slow, but there are certanin function that sometime you dont needit"

4) makes fixing problems on a website impossible without the source files - "True, but we have make change to appliaction directly, we later update the source"

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
Waspman

Posted: 02/28/2011, 6:51 AM

Personnally I wouldn't know.

I think CCS is great. I built a live chat system in an afternoon and delivered to the client this morning. Are there other tools that will allow me to do that?

Fix websites? who builds websites with CCS?

I extract data from the database into simple html and "build" the website in CSS. The CMS at the backend is built in CCS.

This guy should talk to one of us.

:)

Posted: 02/28/2011, 6:56 AM

What is the URL to the review? I don't agree with the snippet either but want to see the source.
JohnH

Posted: 02/28/2011, 7:13 AM

Then that holds true for Cold Fusion and .NET, too (among many others)
kuut

Posted: 02/28/2011, 8:22 AM

i believe the poster was referring to web development as in hand-coding and not using a software like codecharge to do the coding for you.
Oper

Posted: 02/28/2011, 9:01 AM

so you cant edit a external source code with CODECHARGE?

Nither VisualStudio, Coldfusion, C++, .........................

CCS is a great software (the best i have tested) , just lack of Developer information is the isue)

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
datadoit
Posted: 02/28/2011, 11:50 AM

All of that is true to an extent. But aren't all RAD/IDE tools like
that? The whole point of a RAD/IDE is a) speed of development from
conception to rollout, and b) pre-constructed, consistent and documented
codeblocks usable across applications and sometimes environments.

There is an enormous learning curve to understand the inner-workings of
CCS to harness it's full power, but not as daunting (I don't think) as,
say for example, Flex or RoR. The beauty of CCS is that understanding
it's inner workings is not required for creating a simple
database-driven application.

The argument of 'must have the source files' is subjective. It's not
exactly necessary (they're merely XML configuration files), and the cost
of $139 per seat is quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

damian

Posted: 02/28/2011, 3:45 PM

all rad tools create excessive amounts of code. thats one of the drawbacks. most peole will be able to create an application much faster with ccs than without. its a tradeoff. if you dont want/need a rad tool than you shouldnt use one.

Posted: 03/01/2011, 5:19 AM

Agree that all tools of this ilk create more code than if you just wrote the code yourself. The advantage to me is that you may not have needed some of that extra code to begin your self written project but as soon as you extend/enhance that web app, you end up writing more and more that was already encapsulated in functions provided by the RAD tool.
jjrjr2

Posted: 03/12/2011, 12:56 PM

Hi

First I would like to say I have been in the Software Development Biz for almost 35 years. I started in the days when U had to write your own device drivers for anything you needed for CPM or MSDOS in assembler. Also developed SNA/SDLC to ASCII terminal emulation in Z-80 assembler.

I have seen small, fast, compact code expand over the years. Compare Z-80 asembler vs. C++ in regard to code bloat, CCS is nothing and if U step back and look at a CCS page.. It is really very small..

Debugging a CCS app on the server is no more difficult that any other app U might wanna debug. But why would U wanna debug / repair outside the CCS Framework if you are maintaining an application. (Remember CCS is really for developing an Application not just a plain web site)

After saying that, and showing that I am a Dinosaur LOL, CCS is one of the aboslute best and most powerful software development environments I have ever used in those 35 years.

I just am so terribly dissapointed that Yes seems to be letting this OUSTANDING framework die...

advcomputer

Posted: 03/16/2011, 2:29 PM

I must agree, this is a wonderful framework.

I don't mind giving up a little execution speed for a massive increase of development speed.

-Jeff
deepakraj011

Posted: 04/05/2011, 4:04 AM

i have lots of thoughts what to tel...... any how what i think is that u r am a******le
anantdb

Posted: 04/14/2011, 7:49 AM

http://mcpmag.com/articles/2002/08/07/codecharge-studio-106.aspx

kuut, your article/view is 8 years old
kuut

Posted: 04/14/2011, 8:06 AM

so. people are still reviewing the version they have in 2010, 2011, etc etc.
which honestly isn't much different from the version the article was written about. except it has a gallery creator, fckeditor thing, calendar etc etc.

i like this line from a review in dec 2009 (an observation which is still true in 2011):

"You will be a slave of a system of nightmare, with single files containing more than 3000 lines of incomprehensible code all tangled up with other dozens of files in the same way."
acedrummond

Posted: 04/14/2011, 8:18 AM

There is certainly a bit of a learning curve involved here and a lack of good learning materials as well; however, once you are over all that this development tool provides rock solid code that runs solid!

Where can you buy something like this at this price.

The real cost is in learning and all I can say it is well worth the effort of learning how to use this tool.

If anyone wants to hand code please do so, but I doubt you will end up with an application as consistent and solid as what this environment can produce.

The YES people provide support (also for peanuts) and it can get you over the 'hump' so to speak.

Learn it, use it and then complain with something specific.

Posted: 04/14/2011, 8:37 AM

oh i have used it, since 2006. i still do. i have to at my job. for web development its all i was ever taught - how to use this software. i have found many times that the larger and more successful companies i've gone on interviews for, do not use this. they code by hand usually. those entry level developers make 50k or more a year. lead developers in php make 70k+ depending on how successful the company is.

this statement is 100% true: "....and doesn't foster professional growth through the learning of standardized coding practices."

i shouldn't blame the software...i only have myself and my choices to blame. i should've learned php by hand and taught myself how to build custom applications without this use of "do-it-for-you" software. b/c those folks are making real money, those folks are real developers....am i not.
Waspman

Posted: 04/14/2011, 11:38 AM

If you're a "cog" then knowing how to use CCS is no good. You have to fit with other companies working methods so it's best to know how to do it without being dependent on a RAD. However, if you develop complete applications for companies as we do, CCS is brilliant! There is nothing we can't do. Only problem is finding people to work for us. They all want too much money and they take too long. We do stuff in days when the "hand-coders" take weeks. I think CCS is a tool for "Designers" not "Coders"

(Oh and we can make a lot more money developing apps than coders do)

Posted: 05/14/2011, 11:31 AM

Are there any news what is going on with the company. I noticed that the site and all activity except this forum is pretty much dead. No updates for years and no view for any new features. I was goping that after swallowing Artisteer YesSoftware will come up with some nice combo product aspecially well suited for all CMS systems that Artisteer supports, but so far (I think after almost 2 yrs) doesn't look like. Are we working with the dying product?

Art
glucz

Posted: 05/15/2011, 9:34 AM

There was a thread a little while ago about this. Yes considers the future of CodeCharge to be a secret ... I hope it's a secret because they are in the middle of a negotiation to sell this to someone who will indeed have the resources to further develop the product. Right now it still might have some value as we diehards still use it until we die or find something better, at which point CS will truly become worthless. I just don't understand why they have to wait until then. Making CS opensource, keeping some kind of appearance on the product and providing support would probably bring in a lot more money from a much wider customer base than the few hundreds of us paying $200 a year.

GL
mrachow

Posted: 05/15/2011, 2:02 PM

Cute statement. 8-)
Mango_Lier

Posted: 05/17/2011, 4:17 PM

Any news on the update Yes!
damian

Posted: 05/17/2011, 6:06 PM

quit flogging a dead horse. if you want a statement from yes - ask them - dont post it in these forums as they dont read or respond to them.
btw i ask them the question every other month and i always get a response.

Posted: 05/19/2011, 3:47 AM

Quote :
btw i ask them the question every other month and i always get a response.

And the answer is: We are actively developing a new version since .... 3 years (please be patient, our developers are a bit ... slow?).

Some dreams never come true...
damian

Posted: 05/19/2011, 4:42 AM

actually 4.3 is not 2yrs old yet - but its nice to err on the long side.

Posted: 08/22/2013, 7:39 AM

I have used codecharge since version 3
3 great
4 good
5 full of bugs, Support turnaround slow 2-3 days,
I have dozens of apps written with codecharge but version 5 will drive me to another product

Posted: 08/22/2013, 8:14 AM

Quote TGREER:
I have used codecharge since version 3
3 great
4 good
5 full of bugs, Support turnaround slow 2-3 days,
I have dozens of apps written with codecharge but version 5 will drive me to another product

this

Posted: 08/22/2013, 12:51 PM

Ok today's support turnaround was only a couple of hours and it worked. TKS Greg W
Downloaded and been waiting for the splash screen to move on for half an hour. I had to delete the phpcode and let codecharge regenerate it Except for events.
I like codecharge when it works and version 3 and 4 worked all the time

Posted: 08/22/2013, 12:54 PM

I think they are stripping out the competitions name which makes my last post look weird

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Internet Database

Visually create Web enabled database applications in minutes.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login