CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP.NET - InMotion Framework

[RESOLVED] I am getting very upset

Print topic Send  topic

duplo1

Posted: 08/11/2009, 12:36 PM

If that is the idea of the Inmotion Framework to become the new Flagship then I can say "Wow, that is a slow decent to disppointment". I have created a ticket more than two weeks ago, and so far I have received nothing but replies from support that they will contact the developer.

My question is simple: Can it take that long to come up with an answer, a solution or at least some information why Inmotion does not fully run on Server 2008 64 bit. Although it sucks, I will probably have no other choice but to rewrite more than 500 pages into pure Asp.net C#.

This is really bad as I love Inmotion and can see the potential it has. But with a lack of support and documentation it will remain nothing but an attempt to create something superior.

Sorry about these harsh words but I am fed up.
View profile  Send private message
FERAD

Posted: 08/12/2009, 7:45 PM

You are not the only one frustrated by the lack of response from YES Software.

CCS 4 was originally released on February 4 2008. On the home page it says:
"You can quickly generate dynamic, bug-free web sites in PHP, ASP, JSP, Perl, ColdFusion, ASP.NET."

I guess that it was a good sales pitch. They can't even fix Example Pack 2 to work properly. No real examples of custom code or committment from Yes.

There are no award winning pages with Inmotion Framework. Go figure. This according to PETER is the only way it should be done. Maybe there is nothing in the forum because nobody is using it due to all the frustration it causes. Maybe its CCS PHP forever and VS for ASP.NET.

Please respond if you are developing professional websites with ASP.Net with Inmotion Framework. It would be nice to have some detailed custom coding with detailed examples.

very dissappointed.....
FERAD
peterr

Posted: 08/13/2009, 3:40 AM

duplo1,

We assumed that this issue could be related 64-bit 2008 based on your description, but later we tested on such server and no problems were found. InMotion is fully compatible with Windows Server 2008 64 bit. Furthermore, such problems happen to others without relation to InMotion. For example your server shows missing virtual Ajax files like ScriptResource.axd, and such problem is discussed here: http://blogs.msdn.com/carloc/archive/2008/12/04/webreso...ot-working.aspx , while there are thousands other possibilities and many people discuss problems with servers, .NET, databases, etc on the internet, not only here.
And you're welcome to continue discussing this issue with our support as we're trying to help by installing Windows, testing your application, and trying to find the problem. It should already help to point out that this issue is not related to Windows Server 2008 or 64-bit systems, so you can focus on other possible sources of the problem, especially server configuration.

Ferad,
If small number of forum messages means a lot of problems then does a large number of forum messages (PHP) mean that no one has problems with PHP? Or how many messages should a forum have to indicate that particular technology works great and doesn't have problems?
Furthermore, since duplo created a 500 page application with InMotion without posting questions and messages on the forums then this is a great testimonial in itself and shows exactly how great InMotion is and why people don't need to post message here - just use it. And based on what I see duplo's application may be the award winning, professional web application that you are asking about. Artisteer also has a high-traffic website based on InMotion and they just added a cool Ajax-based support site with multi-file upload, Ajax progress bar and other features, without posting messages on the forums (we only helped them with couple features via support, while there were no bug fixes).

Also, the Issue Manager based on InMotion is the most advanced, working example that we could provide for any programming language, with lots of usable custom code not found in any other examples. I refer to it every day when answering most questions related to InMotion, plus I converted/reorganized that version of Issue Manager into modules / includable pages (Robert, let me have some credit) and never had any problems with InMotion as a CCS user. Very frankly I don't care about InMotion at all and don't need to advertise it, but for me it is simply the easiest to use and support and I see no reason for everyone else and myself to struggle with older legacy code that I even don't understand (I never created .NET applications prior to InMotion).

So I assume that if lots of people would complain about InMotion then you'd have a good point, but it seems strange to jump on one issue and announce that because there are no other problems then that's also a problem. Maybe let's break something in InMotion and then see how many forum messages we will end up with, if that's what you are looking for :-)
duplo1

Posted: 08/17/2009, 5:35 AM

Now where would I get this missing Ajax File ScriptResource.axd ???

According to my research that is related to older Ajax/.Net releases. I have installed ASP.net 3.5 SP1 which automatically installs the latest Ajax version resp. extensions.

Even if I install Ajax 1.0 it does not work. I have tried it.

And if something is missing, then my question is why regular ASP.net / Ajax projects created with CCS are working fine.

And btw, using the same configuration on a 32bit Server with ASP.net 3.5 SP1 makes Inmotion run fine.
peterr

Posted: 08/17/2009, 5:26 PM

Duplo,

The link that I provided above explains that this is not a file and it is not missing, and it explains that it's not related to installing Ajax 1.0 but to server configuration. And it explains why other servers work fine. If you simply read their solution then you will understand everything like I do. I don't have more information, only learned how it works from that article. And as you see the problem is not related to InMotion but to server configuration and does not happen on all servers. So everything matches your exact symptoms, although there may be other causes of such problems.

The "regular" ASP.NET projects are actually not regular but are using variety of hacks to utilize non MS Ajax, only Ajax libraries. While InMotion uses the proper approach by utilizing standard ASP.NET Ajax, which should work fine when your MS ASP.NET Ajax works properly.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login