CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

mySQL and ASP

Print topic Send  topic

kevind

Posted: 05/14/2009, 7:10 AM

hi all,

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has done projects in ASP with mySQL backend - hosted on a shared hosting solution, not a dedicated server.

- was it an easy (relatively) transition from MS Access to mySQL?
- did you notice significant speed boost by using mySQL instead of MS Access

Reason I ask is i'm being told by my hosting company where i have a shared hosting plan, that the reason my apps are slow is the MS Access connection.

thanks,
KD

p.s. - I don't want to learn PHP at this time

======================
CCS 3.2.x / ASP / MS Access /mySQL / PHP / jQuery / jQuery UI / jQuery Mobile
View profile  Send private message
mljonzs

Posted: 05/14/2009, 7:23 AM

KD -

For what it is worth, I have not used MySQL for applications but I have used both MS Access and MS SQL and there is definitely a HUGE difference there. The transition was fairly simple and I'm told that it would be very similar to use MySQL rather than MS SQL. It would definitely be worth trying if you are having problems with speed.

Posted: 05/14/2009, 7:47 AM

Quote mljonzs:
KD -

For what it is worth, I have not used MySQL for applications but I have used both MS Access and MS SQL and there is definitely a HUGE difference there. The transition was fairly simple and I'm told that it would be very similar to use MySQL rather than MS SQL. It would definitely be worth trying if you are having problems with speed.

thanks for that - i was considering MS Sql too, but this is a hone-my-skills internal app that i provide free for supporting my clients, sort of a showcase bit and they charge extra for the MS SQL hosting at my hosting provider - call me cheap
:-D

======================
rho

Posted: 05/14/2009, 9:38 AM

I did a similar conversion for a site (Access MDB was gettig to big). Conversion was not a big problem and performance improved. Definitely worth the effort (I now can remotely manage the database using phpMyAdmin). From the top of my head: two things to keep in mind when converting (all is in preparation!):
- MySQL table names are - normally - case sensitive (common practice is to keep them *lowercase*). This might have consquences for your code whenever you mix lower and upper case when using the same table name;
- Select your database charset with care when converting your data.

Cheers, Rob.
kevind

Posted: 05/14/2009, 10:49 AM

Quote rho:
I did a similar conversion for a site (Access MDB was gettig to big). Conversion was not a big problem and performance improved. Definitely worth the effort (I now can remotely manage the database using phpMyAdmin). From the top of my head: two things to keep in mind when converting (all is in preparation!):
- MySQL table names are - normally - case sensitive (common practice is to keep them *lowercase*). This might have consquences for your code whenever you mix lower and upper case when using the same table name;
- Select your database charset with care when converting your data.

Cheers, Rob.

ok, when you mention charset - what should i be considering, i'm using whatever is the default in CCS and MS Access

kd

======================
rho

Posted: 05/14/2009, 3:05 PM

Depending on the intended localization of your site, you can go for Latin or more 'exotic' options like UTF-8. Normally in the English/European countries, Latin should work for you.
Waspman

Posted: 05/15/2009, 12:31 AM

I did this, went from Access to MySQL, and like you, wanted to build and test locally. I tried all the variants of MS SQL(there were some different options, can't remember now). , but it was a bit of a mare!!! So in desperation I decided to go for MySQL. It was, and is, a dream to use and the thing that makes it all work for me is Navicat. I converted all my DB's in an instant no messing about (upsizing and all that). I also started using PHP and within a week I was using both ASP and PHP, now I just use PHP.

Posted: 05/15/2009, 1:52 AM

Quote rho:
Depending on the intended localization of your site, you can go for Latin or more 'exotic' options like UTF-8. Normally in the English/European countries, Latin should work for you.

ok, thanks - definitely North American market at this point

======================
kevind

Posted: 05/15/2009, 1:56 AM

Quote Waspman:
I did this, went from Access to MySQL, and like you, wanted to build and test locally. I tried all the variants of MS SQL(there were some different options, can't remember now). , but it was a bit of a mare!!! So in desperation I decided to go for MySQL. It was, and is, a dream to use and the thing that makes it all work for me is Navicat. I converted all my DB's in an instant no messing about (upsizing and all that). I also started using PHP and within a week I was using both ASP and PHP, now I just use PHP.

Thanks
I think i'm going to move forward with it - Does the Navicat Lite have enough features to convert MS Access forward to MySql, I don't mind buying the full version, however, i'm trying to get this done on the cheap until i'm sure it's a better way of doing things. I tried to find their feature matrix on the web site, but the site doesn't seem 'finished'.

Does PHP compare to another language in terms of syntax/structure ? Javascript ?

kd

======================
Chris__T

Posted: 05/15/2009, 8:43 AM

In february I migrated our Access database to MySQL (5.1) via the mysql migration tool. It was simple and straightforward, and everything transferred over correctly.

I'd say the big thing for me was the preparation for the migration. I tested the migration beforehand, and made sure these new tables were working with my code charge pages.
Waspman

Posted: 05/15/2009, 8:45 AM

Sorry man I don't know about the Navicat lite version. I just downloaded the 30 day trial to see if it worked and then upgraded.

For me it wasn't too difficult once I got the hang of the syntax. There was nothing the same, but it comes once everything clicks into place and there are some great people on here who will help.

Update: I just checked the Navicat matrix on their site and the Lite version doesn't import Access.

Posted: 05/15/2009, 9:08 AM

Quote Chris__T:
In february I migrated our Access database to MySQL (5.1) via the mysql migration tool. It was simple and straightforward, and everything transferred over correctly.

I'd say the big thing for me was the preparation for the migration. I tested the migration beforehand, and made sure these new tables were working with my code charge pages.

ok, thanks.

in renaming the tables in MS Access to lower case, as others have suggested, do you have any experience with this requiring redoing the datasources for grids & records?

======================
kevind

Posted: 05/15/2009, 9:09 AM

Quote Waspman:
Sorry man I don't know about the Navicat lite version. I just downloaded the 30 day trial to see if it worked and then upgraded.

For me it wasn't too difficult once I got the hang of the syntax. There was nothing the same, but it comes once everything clicks into place and there are some great people on here who will help.

Update: I just checked the Navicat matrix on their site and the Lite version doesn't import Access.

thanks - i might give it a go

======================
Chris__T

Posted: 05/19/2009, 7:21 AM

Well, my table names didn't change, they were lowercase to begin with. Some field names changed and I had to manual change those in my grids/records in codecharge. I just made a new connection for my mysql database, and just tweaked a few field names, and I could use my codecharge pages for my new mysql database.
Oper

Posted: 05/21/2009, 4:10 PM

set mysql to not boder with Case sensitivty and it will work just after convert

* some special character that you use in acccess wont work ex: [User] "]" reserver words
* Access use TOP , MySQL use LIMIT in case you have some view you should changed.

Access View use too much Parenthesis (just clean some out)

we still have some APP running in Access, its really quick when just few users
in fact its faster than Mysql with none index Search. but its not happy with heavy multi user enviroment.

MSAccess use Table Locking (dont have record Locking)

http://www.PremiumWebTemplate.com
Affiliation Web Site Templates

Please do backup first
marcwolf

Posted: 11/30/2009, 4:47 PM

MySQL has an excellent product in the GUI Tools

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

This is the MySQL Migration Toolkit which will migrate a MS Access DB over to MySQL very eailsy. Its is also FREE.

Hope this helps
Dave

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

Web Database

Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login