CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Visual Web Reporting

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> ASP

Creating License Keys

Print topic Send  topic

cruisin

Posted: 11/15/2008, 3:30 PM

I saw one post on the PHP side of the forum, but I need a solutions for an asp environment. Basically I want the app to become disabled if it doesn't access and update a client specific key that indicates they are paid through x date. Once they get within 30 days, they would be prompted to retrieve another key. I don't want to try and do this as a web service, since it is likely to be a firewall issue for several clients. Ideally, it would a cut and paste from the main site into the application site inside their network. The issue is to do it in such a way that someone couldn't easily disable the feature.
Suggestions?

Rob
View profile  Send private message
Vasiliy

Posted: 11/17/2008, 5:34 AM

Difficult to implement in ASP - plain text.

I envision as a COM-object, that has some functions used by app.
Functions of this COM-object check for encrypted license file - if exists and valid.

Posted: 11/17/2008, 3:44 PM

I have often though about this issue. And there are a couple of solutions. It also depends on your target audience as in how technically competant they are . If they have an internal web guru who just loves to take apart code then you have little hope of hiding things
However there are a couple of ways one can do it.

1. Webservice - works well however needs to be on the internet.

2. COM component - also works very well except there can be come configuration issues.

3. Heavily compressed Javascript. This can work reasonably well as you can embed a lot of other necessary functions in the JS code as well to make a sizable library (Thus more time consuming to step through) . Then split your registration routines over several function scattered though the code. Your licence key can also be a section of heavily compressed JS code that can be sent seperately and just read in using a standard client include statement..

Alternatively you can store the key in the database and have the ASP extract it into a hidden text box for the JS routines to examine and verify.

As mentioned - nothing is perfect however it comes down to a costing between time and effort to break verses cost-effectiveness just to buy the license.

Hope this gives some help

Dave
View profile  Send private message

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

MS Access to Web

Convert MS Access to Web.
Join thousands of Web developers who build Web applications with minimal coding.

CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login