CodeCharge Studio
search Register Login  

Web Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

YesSoftware Forums -> CodeCharge Studio -> IDE/GUI

Artisteer

Print topic Send  topic

Arthur Klisiewicz
Posted: 09/17/2008, 9:18 PM

Have anybody developed anythin worth seeing using
CCS+http://www.artisteer.com ???
I would like to opinions about this tool ?

Arthur

marcel

Posted: 09/24/2008, 12:47 PM

I started using Aristeer today. I'm no expert in webdesign and my designs are always too simple, so I can use a little bit of help.
Very nice tool at first sight. Some remarks:
- I could not find fluid design/100% width. Is more difficult because you cannot work with fixed size images and have to split images in a floating left and right part. Or 1 image and a backgroundcolor in the same color as the image.
- I could not find navigation buttons generated by Artisteer
- Integration of the generated code should be possible in the future but is not completely automated yet. At this moment you have to do some copy and a lot of changes in the classes and divs in the HTML that is generated by CC.

For this moment I use the HTML export of Artisteer to practice and find out if there is enough variation in design. Should be fantastic if they succeed to integrate this tool with CC.

Marcel
View profile  Send private message
feha

Posted: 10/08/2008, 12:09 AM

I have downloaded, looks promising, it exports very clean css/xhtml code ...
Will be testing how to integrate layouts in CCS ...

www.vision.to
feedpixel.com
feha

Posted: 10/08/2008, 10:30 AM

I have bought the license, can say that it still needs more work in order to be fully integrated with CCS.
As manual states now, there is lot of manual work after the template is generated ...

www.vision.to
feedpixel.com
marcel

Posted: 10/15/2008, 11:14 AM

I have made a design with Artisteer, fun to do. Then I had to change some html-code to get a basic HTML-template for CC. Still not fully automated yet but promising. Hope the integration will become better.
See http://www.ivds.nl/bekendmakingen/home.php for an example. It is a demo site for the local government in Holland and shows local announcements.

It also contains CCTools-googlemap builder. Had some problems combining doctype XHTML 1.0 and the HTML-editor of CC, making a mess of the code by putting CDATA tags in the HTML which causes Google Maps showing only Loading..... but no map.

Marcel
feha

Posted: 10/15/2008, 11:43 AM

Looks great ...
you have still to clean up much of xhtml tags ...
lot of warnings ...

www.vision.to
feedpixel.com
marcel

Posted: 10/15/2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks. Yes a lot of warnings. I used the doctype which is standard in CC when you choose xHTML (Transitional) Section 508 but used partly HTML that was generated in earlier HTML transitional. And some code is generated by CC (e.g. ClientI18N.php) and CC-IDE (e.g. <br> ) and probably also in FCKeditor ??

I'm going to clean it up.

feha

Posted: 10/16/2008, 6:13 AM

Also what I can not accept in professional design:

<div class="Sheet">  

<div class="Sheet-body">  

CONTENT HERE  

</div>  
      <div class="Sheet-tl"></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-tr"><div></div></div>  

<div class="Sheet-bl"><div></div></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-br"><div></div></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-tc"><div></div></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-bc"><div></div></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-cl"><div></div></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-cr"><div></div></div>  
      <div class="Sheet-cc"></div>  
    </div>  
So much code is used just to use "rounded corners"+shadows ...
and not a single image it need three images yet ...
And too much css code with expressions ...

All this could be acheived with less code and single image ...
http://www.vision.to/single-image-rounded-corners.php

So this is why I'm not satisfied with produced code ...

www.vision.to
feedpixel.com
marcel

Posted: 10/16/2008, 3:22 PM

Hi Feha,

Yes, there is a lot of extra HTML-code to support backgrounds and shadows. It is used for the backgrounds of the sheet and all the blocks. And CC-HTML-editor stretches the HTML out after editing in design mode so you have to scroll a lot. You loose overview on open and close divs.

On the other hand, changing a design in Artisteer is so easy. Making a border thick, change color, adding shadow, changing a colorschema, all with visual control, very nice. And as far as I can see, multibrowser. It should be wonderfull to rely on the generated css to work always correctly. I spend a lot of time to correct css. That is where produced code has an advantage.

I looked at your examples of rounded corners and there are clever solutions. But Artisteer supports many more combinations, such as glare, gradients and buttons. And I do not have to handcode the css. That is no problem for bigger projects, but I use CC for small applications that need just an acceptable design. Or the same application in use by more organisations. And for prototyping.
A quick and semi-professional look is provided by Artisteer. But the integration is not complete and still a lot to optimize.

Greetings,
Marcel

feha

Posted: 10/17/2008, 12:57 AM

Hi marcel

I will stick on Photoshop CS3 and hand coding CSS :-)

If Artisteer "grows" one day and produce "clean" xhtml/css than I might consider using it in professional work.

There is people who cares very much on HTML semantic structure .

However it can be used for prototyping of layout, than reproduce it in Photoshop and coding it with lot less HTML markup.

www.vision.to
feedpixel.com
peterr

Posted: 10/17/2008, 1:22 AM

Feha,

This depends on everyone's preferences as every designer has different style and wants to change somebody else's design.
For me Artisteer is perfectly grown and I use it professionally. Looks like you haven't seen yet professional enterprise portal designs as they have much more advanced and complicated CSS :-)

And I just came from the VSLive conference where Artisteer was also exhibitting and several Visual Studio developers demanded generating tables instead of DIVs... (just another example what some professionals want versus others)

Cheers
feha

Posted: 10/17/2008, 1:43 AM

Hi Peter
This is not an "advanced" CSS it is bloated CSS and does not validate, consult any CSS expert.
Using IE6 related expressions and hacks in CSS it is not "advanced" CSS.
Artisteer could generate a separate css file for IE6.

Layouts are fixed (should be option for fluid layouts too).
For accessibility reasons it is important semantic HTML.

I was among the first who demanded that CodeCharge Studio output XHTML and I'm happy it does now.

Artisteer has in header tables and that is wrong, it could be done with div's.
I say it is the best automated layout generator but still needs "fine tuning".

Quote :
And I just came from the VSLive conference where Artisteer was also exhibitting and several Visual Studio developers demanded generating tables instead of DIVs... (just another example what some professionals want versus others)
They should probably continue using "Front Page" :-)

Cheers

www.vision.to
feedpixel.com
peterr

Posted: 10/20/2008, 12:14 AM

Hey Feha,

> consult any CSS expert.

This depends if those "experts" create only basic CMS designs like Joomla templates, or large scale enterprise applications. I bet that you will not like any enterprise systems created by experts (most use tables, and none of their CSS validates):
http://news.google.com
www.microsoft.com
www.apple.com
www.oracle.com
http://portalcenter.oracle.com
www.amazon.com
www.ebay.com
www.yahoo.com
http://news.yahoo.com/

materix

Posted: 10/24/2008, 2:50 PM

This is the first version of Artisteer, and it is looking promising indeed. So I am looking forward to when it matures further.

I have tried to use it for a couple of small websites. The problem which I face with it is, that after I have built a design which is 50 % "complete", then I find it quite difficult to modify the css generated by Artisteer, to solve the remainder 50 %.
jjrjr1

Posted: 01/18/2009, 8:58 AM

Hi

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

I just began development of a major project using Artisteer and CCS.

These two tools are dynomite together!!

Here is a link http://webtestinglive.com

In addition to the courses and exams being dynamically built by the client. All the content is configurable on a page by page basis. Also, two Artsy styles have been employed.

Completely Artisteer and CCS 4.1.0.27 - 31.

There are bugs I found in Artisteer such as breaking some CCS submit buttons in IE6, CCS menus not compaitble on the same page, the CSS does not validate, no multiple style support, no multi language support. But have been able to work around them and others so far.

I am generally confident that Yes will get all the problems ironed out at some point but it has to be used in order to wring out all the minor problems. I have been a little suprised at Artisteers slow support but so far where they lack Yes has picked up the slack.

If these problems are discovered and reported and worked thru (Like most of us have with CCS) we will have one incredible set of tools for web development.

Incidentally at this site, FCKeditor is deployed for the client to custom instert all his content even the flash opjects as well as a FLV palyer object. Sometimes FCKeditor does not get the credit it deserves either.

Have fun.

Add new topic Subscribe to topic   

These are Community Forums for users to exchange information.
If you would like to obtain technical product help please visit http://support.yessoftware.com.

PHP Reports

Visually create Web Reports in PHP, ASP, .NET, Java, Perl and ColdFusion.
CodeCharge.com

Home   |    Search   |    Members   |    Register   |    Login